Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, semi-auto versions of Australian FAL rifles made at the Lithgow Arsenal were imported. There were a total of 138 rifles imported. Since such a small number were imported, has this FAL rifle been place on the C&R list? Also, there were about 20 new, unassemblied semi-auto receivers of Australian FAL rifle imported too. Have they been put on the C&R list too? Appreciate any information. Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check with the ATF. But I don't see why something would be added to the C+R list simply because only a few were imported. Someone could always try to get them added but they wouldn't be added automatically.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The only L1A1s or FALs I see on the list are experimental Canadian versions. Never hurts to apply to get them on the C&R list.

"Collectors desiring to obtain a determination as to whether a particular firearm qualifies for classification as a curio or
relic in accordance with 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.26 or a collector's item in accordance with § 479.25 and § 479.24 should
submit a written request for a ruling. The letter should include:
1) A complete physical description of the item;
2) Reasons the collector believes the item merits the classification; and
3) Data concerning the history of the item, including production figures, if available, and market value.
As stated in the regulations, submission of the firearm may be required prior to a determination being made. Please
submit your request to:
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Firearms Technology Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405"

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had a couple of receivers made at Lithgow Small Arms Factory. They were marked L1A1.A, and came into the US in 1986. They looked identical to S.A.F. L1A1 receivers, but were supposed to be exclusively semi-auto, for Eden International, Palm Bay Florida. The one that I have is Serial # 516, marked 860516, the one I sold was #514, marked 860514. The third, 515 stayed with the original owner.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Standard Issue Aussie L1A1 Rifles were, in service, Semi-Auto only, but the Lower receiver was machined for the "auto-sear disconnect" which was in place ( prevented hammer release before the bolt was in battery and locked up); the only "semi-Auto only "part was the Selector lever(safety catch) Barrel, which was not machined to allow the sear to work full auto, and the Trigger stop Pin, which was longer ( 1/8th inch) and prevented complete depression of the trigger.

During Vietnam, Unit armourers made "special" Forward scout rifles using the safety lever from the L2A1 Action ( selective fire) and the matching 30 round L2A1 magazine, and cut the trigger stop pin down to allow full trigger travel. Thus the lead scout had basically a Chicago Typewriter with rifle ammo, and in a contact, could spray the forward area with 30 rounds, giving the rest of the section time to deploy the M60. The Aussie SAS were prominent users of these conversions ( they also shortened the barrels by removing the flash hiders and a couple of inches of Muzzle as well!).

For the purposes of the ATF, after a long drawn out Court case with a known importer ( and several Senate hearings) over L1A1 and FAL rifles, several batches of already approved and Imported FN rifles were "grandfathered" as normal semi-auto Rifles, but all the later ones were classed as "machine guns" (under the "once an MG, always an MG rule") due to the presence of the auto-sear disconnector and its slot in the lower receiver.

SO the special lot of Lithgow made "L1A1 A" receivered rifles were not machined for the disconnect slot, and therefore, were "NOT" Machine Guns under ATF rules. BY the Way, the Term "L1A1 A" is that used for a batch of shortened and lightened L1A1s made specifically for the Gov't of Papua New Guinea in the 1970s-80s, by Lithgow, following the Vietnam experience of cutting back barrels and eliminating the flash hider ( whilst still leaving a bayonet lug on the barrel.)
BTW, removal of the disconnect slot and lever is dangerous, as it removes the safety of "No fire except in battery" provision ( ie, slam fire is possible).

The "86" on the serial numbers denotes manufacture in 1986 ( last year of L1A1 Production), and this was well after the US Court case/Senate hearings regarding the imported L1A1s and FALs.
I have a Factory-sectionised L1A1 rifle, also made 1986...of a series of several hundred made for presentations and Collector's club members.

Regards,
Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Applications for C&R status require the support of a curator of a public museum.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a couple of receivers made at Lithgow Small Arms Factory. They were marked L1A1.A, and came into the US in 1986. They looked identical to S.A.F. L1A1 receivers, but were supposed to be exclusively semi-auto, for Eden International, Palm Bay Florida. The one that I have is Serial # 516, marked 860516, the one I sold was #514, marked 860514. The third, 515 stayed with the original owner.
The Australian receivers I have are marked, Rifle 7.62mm, L.1.A.1.A and have serial numbers, AUS 11 and AUS 12. These were imported by Joe Poyer in Orange, California.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Old thread, I know. There are also Eden Imports marked L1A1.A receivers. I've owned two. One has full Austalian markings including Lithgow crossed lances proofs. The other lacks proofs, and is slightly less well finshed. A detail of the proofed receiver is shown below. It's assembled onto an original all-matching unissued 1964 Lithgow New Zealand contract L1A1 parts kit. It also has all Lithgow inspection and batch markings, with an 83 serial number prefix. ALN is the steel batch number. I've seen no authoritative explanation of the 8.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
IIRC, the lower on FAL-type rifles is not the registered part, it is the upper. In the full auto it allows the auto sear to be installed.
BTW, the is at least one case )Vollmer, again IIRC) where the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" mantra was judicially annulled......
HTH, Okrana

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,678 Posts
Applications for C&R status require the support of a curator of a public museum.
Hummm, I've not read that. I did see that it would "support the case" if provided.

An individual got the Indian 2A's added to the list a few years ago. It helped by about 4 years, IIRC.

The last Aussie L1A1 Lithgow that I saw at a show was not for sale, and had an old tag of $9,999.00, and he wouldn't, period.
Knob Creek, 15 years ago or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.