Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing business with the enemy in a time of war? Treason I say, and there is but one penalty for treason.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[South Texas:]State lawmaker acquired ranch from drug dealers
Corpus Christi Caller-Times/AP ^ | December 6, 2008

Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008

AUSTIN — Prosecutors are investigating the growing real estate portfolio of a powerful South Texas lawmaker who acquired valuable land from convicted drug dealers.

The Travis County investigation of state Rep. Ismael "Kino" Flores, D-Palmview, began over questions about discounted air travel he allegedly received from a major political contributor who is developing a racetrack. But the probe has since widened to include Flores' land holdings, his lawyer, Roy Minton, said Friday.

One of those holdings is a South Texas ranch where an illegal immigrant was allegedly beaten to death by one of Flores' ranch hands, another illegal immigrant, who then fled to Mexico. Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said prosecutors have asked for his agency's report and affidavits on that case.

Flores was never suspected of involvement in the crime and Minton said he is "dead certain" the public corruption probe in Austin has nothing to do with the unsolved killing.

Assistant District Attorney Gregg Cox did not return a phone call from The Associated Press.

In 2005, Flores gained control of a 6-acre tract from convicted drug dealers in Hidalgo County, on the Texas-Mexico border, records show.

Minton said the ranch itself, and how Flores acquired it, have become the subject of criminal inquiry.

"I know from talking to the district attorney's office that they have looked at several things, including that transaction," Minton told The AP.

(Excerpt) Read more at caller.com ...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,414 Posts
Probably nothing to it, other than the dopers had it and lost it. Six acres ain't much of a ranch, more than likely that tract was adjoining a larger piece Flores owned and when he got a chance to get it, he did. Owners may have needed money for bail, may have put the property up for bail, and had it forfeited and Flores bought it at the sheriff's sale, lots of (reasonably) innocent ways for him to have acquired it. And some not so innocent, of course...

I may be able to get a read on what sort of a guy Flores is (besides one who has a d8mned good lawyer - Roy Minton is top-notch) tomorrow. Member of the Lege goes to church with us and if he is in town, I'll try and see what (if anything) he knows about this and what he can tell me about Flores.

There is this - it is unlikely Flores is clean. He's on the border and border politicians, without regard to party affiliation are almost all dirty one way or anotehr (though dealing with dopers isn't necessarily the way).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts