Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been absent from gunboards for ages and I recently came back to sell a few things and am now starting a Yugo underfolder build.

I am going to order some parts and pieces in the next few days and would like your suggestions and comments, along with where to get a few things now that Tapco does not sell directly. (Did anyone else see that on their website today?)

Ok, first I am going to use a nodakspud receiver. In the past I have heard good things about them. I know they are out of stock right now on their underfolders but I am going to place my order tomorrow and hope I get it all done before any ban comes down the pike.

I plan on doing a screw build, but might do it up as a rivet build. I don't have all of the rivet jigs and dies, but I do have an old set of bolt cutters I could modify, which is a start.

Besides my receiver I would like to get all of my other parts from one source. I have used tapco gas pistons and trigger groups before, but they no longer sell direct. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about www.buymilsurp.com?

Lastly, I was thinking about using one of the UTG quad rail handguard/gas tubes that centerfire systems has available. (My wood furniture is shot) Any comments on that?

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/yugom70quadrailsparthdg-ak-yugo.aspx

I have also used tapco double hook trigger groups in the past. Besides the actual difference between having one vs. two hooks is there any benefit/drawbacks to a double hook trigger group vs a single or vice versa?

As always, thanks for the support and info.

GG

G

·
Bump

No one has any suggestions or thoughts for me?
Screw builds suck .Pay to have it done right . trying to build one kit and make it look profesional can be a trick .guys like me have the proper tools and made a good monetary investment doing so .The receiver and kit are valuable enough to warant a proper build . I would have Ken Kubin(global military gunsmithing) do a partial build. Disasemble the underfolder stock your self . Send ken the trigger guard ,rear end and the barrelassembly ,front trunion and gas tube,bolt and carrier . . Have him rivet it all together for you and tell him you would like to do as much of it you can to save money .You can put together the rest . Then you will have to put the stock on and put in the fire control group .Install the pistolgrip and refinish the rifle as you please . Most folks just leave it alone and add a little cold blue to the rivet heads and maybe a bit to the receiver since NDS receivers come dark in color from heat treating and make a decent battle feild pick up look with out finishing . If you need a USA gas piston installed ,let ken do that too. ken is a good guy ,he will help you out as far as taking care of what need to be profesionaly done and will let you do the rest to save money .

I like AKbuilder.com or DPH arms for my compliance parts in general .

I like to use doublehook FCG's .but single hook works just the same .

And I dont like the UTG handguard .I hate the quad rail ,black rifle stuff .its just a bunch of extra junk . Like curb feelers on a cadilac . Iron wood designs reproduces the wooden ones. And if you use teak wood finish ,they look purdy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
Screw builds suck .Pay to have it done right . trying to build one kit and make it look profesional can be a trick .guys like me have the proper tools and made a good monetary investment doing so .The receiver and kit are valuable enough to warant a proper build . I would have Ken Kubin(global military gunsmithing) do a partial build. Disasemble the underfolder stock your self . Send ken the trigger guard ,rear end and the barrelassembly ,front trunion and gas tube,bolt and carrier . . Have him rivet it all together for you and tell him you would like to do as much of it you can to save money .You can put together the rest . Then you will have to put the stock on and put in the fire control group .Install the pistolgrip and refinish the rifle as you please . Most folks just leave it alone and add a little cold blue to the rivet heads and maybe a bit to the receiver since NDS receivers come dark in color from heat treating and make a decent battle feild pick up look with out finishing . If you need a USA gas piston installed ,let ken do that too. ken is a good guy ,he will help you out as far as taking care of what need to be profesionaly done and will let you do the rest to save money .

I like AKbuilder.com or DPH arms for my compliance parts in general .

I like to use doublehook FCG's .but single hook works just the same .

And I dont like the UTG handguard .I hate the quad rail ,black rifle stuff .its just a bunch of extra junk . Like curb feelers on a cadilac . Iron wood designs reproduces the wooden ones. And if you use teak wood finish ,they look purdy.
+1 .., A quality rivet build on a NDS receiver is your brest choice and will create the best rifle when completed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't waste your time, money and the receiver on a shitty screw build. They never look right and cannot be fully trusted. You will end up redoing it again with rivets.

Either pay someone to build it with rivets or don't build it at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Besides not looking right, why is a screw build inferior to a rivet build? Obviouslly screws could back out or become loose, but besides that what are the negatives?

Also, I was looking for more information on the UTG handguard relating to quality and fit. Is the part a piece of crap or is it solid.

Lastly, vladimir, thanks for the suggestion for Iron Wood Designes. I have never heard of them before and their products do look very nice.

G

·
Besides not looking right, why is a screw build inferior to a rivet build? Obviouslly screws could back out or become loose, but besides that what are the negatives?

Also, I was looking for more information on the UTG handguard relating to quality and fit. Is the part a piece of crap or is it solid.

Lastly, vladimir, thanks for the suggestion for Iron Wood Designes. I have never heard of them before and their products do look very nice.
Their wood and customer serive is top notch . If he is out of stock on something it may take a decent wait for him to make it ,since he runs batches .He uses computer programed machines to do the work .

Screw builds are ugly and screws do come loose ,wich can pose risks . Its also alot harder than most think to drill and tap out those old rivet holes and trunions . Resale value is terrible for the effort put out . You have a good investment there . Its woth the extra cost of being done right . let ken give you a price . And then check with some other builders . Most builders want 400-500 bucks to build it .If thats what you find . I think you will be suprised at Globals more reasonable prices .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.