1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the extractor in the Star B
interchangableable with the one in the Star BM
?
I need to replace the extractor in a Star B (Modelo Super). Some dummy filed on the extractor to make the pistol fire .38 Super. Why, I do not know; don't want to know. It is a well made pistol and I do not want to see it become a safe queen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you look at the barrel toggle link and the slide stop with the "bar" (for lack of a better term) that sticks through the frame from the left side, you can see that it is not / not a Super.

A Super uses a slot instead of the toggle link, and a Super slide stop does not stick through the frame. The Super quick take down lever (on the right side of the frame) has a "bar" that sticks through the frame and mates with the slide stop on the left side of the frame.

Yes, it is quite probable that someone filed down the extractor to allow the pistol to fire .38 Super (or earlier lower powered .38 ACP) rounds. If that modification is not done, the weapon will jam, as the extractor will not let go of the thicker rim on .38 Super casings (or thicker 9mm Para rims if you have an aftermarket 9mm Para barrel installed) .38 Super casings are much easier to find than 9mm Largo casings, and .38 Super casings are Boxer primed. I suspect all 9mm Largo rounds are Berdan primed, although I have never fired a 9mm Largo round.

I had the extractor on my 9mm Largo Super filed down (by a gunsmith, not "a dummy") years back, to allow the use of .38 Super casings in reloads. Then I found an aftermarket FAC 9mm Para barrel, and have been shooting nothing but 9mm Para ammunition in it since. Works just fine.

As you said, someone filed the extractor on your pistol "to make the pistol fire .38 Super." Don't complain. If it bothers you, just find a Super extractor. They're available, and not as hard to find as Super slide stops (that has relegated my 1975 vintage Super B into a closet queen.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Bob is correct, B's were made in 9mm Luger (they also made a Super B) and as noted a simple barrel change will allow it to shoot Largo provided the magazine does not have a block for the Luger cartridge.
the post above with Star's email is no longer valid as he is out of the business, we miss his wonderful parts supply.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob is correct, B's were made in 9mm Luger (they also made a Super B) and as noted a simple barrel change will allow it to shoot Largo provided the magazine does not have a block for the Luger cartridge.
the post above with Star's email is no longer valid as he is out of the business, we miss his wonderful parts supply.
This pistol came with two barrels: one chambered for 9mm Largo and the other for .38 Super. The whole "9mm Parabellum" thing is news to me. In any event (and this new info), the extractor is getting ahold of the empty case but the ejector looks to be slightly bent and not being struck by the empty case with enough force to clear it from the pistol.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
The model designation is on the butt of the grip, behind the mag well. It should say "SUPER" over the serial number there (the number on the slide/frame is a military rack number, and NOT the serial number).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sarco or Numrich Arms may be able to answer your parts compatibility question and / or supply the correct part for your Modelo Super. There is very little parts compatibility between the BM/BKM and the Modelos Super A/B. So, maybe but not likely but worth asking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.