Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shooting my Super B the magazine will drop (I am not hitting the mag release button, other magazines work fine) and cause the gun to misfeed. Any idea how I could fix this magazine?

Would a magazine spring possibly help the situation?

Thanks for any help.

·
Silver Bullet Member
579 Posts
On other pistols with the same issue I discovered that the feed lips are just a tiny bit too high (upright?) and when the slide reciprocates, it contacts the feed lips and nudges it past the mag lock. This may or may not be the case here but is worth looking into since it is a cheap fix!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On other pistols with the same issue I discovered that the feed lips are just a tiny bit too high (upright?) and when the slide reciprocates, it contacts the feed lips and nudges it past the mag lock. This may or may not be the case here but is worth looking into since it is a cheap fix!
Never though about that, does make a LOT of sense. I will compare with the working magazines. Thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
I can't think of a single reason why the magazine spring would have anything to do with it. More likely the magazine catch slot is deformed, or the magazine body is racked out of square, or it's a Model B magazine that someone imperfectly tried to alter to work in a B Super.

M

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been comparing a magazine that works and the magazine that keeps dropping while shooting and I am seeing some differences. Maybe the problem magazine is a largo magazine. I have been unable to find good pictures to help distinguish the differences so I am going to take some pics and post to get some opinions, if we can determine that one is a largo and the other is a parabellum/luger then we will have a good reference post.

Thanks for all the help so far, and hoping we can identify the differences between the two types of magazines.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Star made various manufacturing changes over the years to the floorplate and follower of Super magazines, but none affect interchangeability. The only relevant difference between Super B 9mm Para and Super A 9mm Largo is in the length of the lips, which are longer for Para because the cartridge is shorter. However, the cut-out for the hold-open on upper left side of the magazines for standard Model A or B pistols is not big enough for the corresponding Super models.

M

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Star made various manufacturing changes over the years to the floorplate and follower of Super magazines, but none affect mechanical interchangeability between pistols. The only relevant difference between Super B 9mm Para and Super A 9mm Largo in magazines from a given era is in the length of the lips, which are longer for Para because the cartridge is shorter. However, the cut-out for the hold-open on upper left side of the magazines for standard Model A or B pistols is not big enough for the corresponding Super models.

M

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Star made various manufacturing changes over the years to the floorplate and follower of Super magazines, but none affect mechanical interchangeability between pistols. The only relevant difference between Super B 9mm Para and Super A 9mm Largo in magazines from a given era is in the length of the lips, which are longer for Para because the cartridge is shorter. However, the cut-out for the hold-open on upper left side of the magazines for standard Model A or B pistols is not big enough for the corresponding Super models.

M
Thanks MGMike, The one that is having issues appears to have shorter and different shaped feed lips, I will post a pic.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the images. The magazine on the left seems to have longer feed lips and is the magazine that actually works flawlessly. Is the magazine on the right a Largo magazine? Any and all input welcome.

20210609_150332.jpg 20210609_150406.jpg 20210609_150510.jpg 20210609_150527.jpg 20210609_150559.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
I can't see the photos well enough to offer anything, except the observation that the mag on the left --which is the one you say works flawlessly--is buggered up with ragged and burred lips. It appears to have been monkeyed with. That would be the one I would expect to be malfunctioning, not the one on the right, which is a Largo magazine.

Are you sure your pistol is a Super model (with the fast takedown)?

To figure out why the mag is dropping out, you need to spend some time with the pistol and the mag on a workbench. Remove the slide and the left grip and carefully look for any points of interference when the magazine is inserted. Chances are it's between the slide latch and the vertical surface of the hold-open cut-out at the upper left side of the mag body. Or the magazine is racked in cross-section, and the magazine catch is holding only barely, and jarring loose in recoil.

Or take it to a gunsmith.

M

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure your pistol is a Super model (with the fast takedown)?
The mag on the left is from my Star BS, the mag on the right is the one that came with the Super B. The heal of the frame says "B Super" and there is a fast takedown.

Should a Largo magazine work properly in a para gun?

I will take your advice and look at the gun on the bench and see if there is anything that stands out. Thanks for your help.

·
Silver Bullet Member
579 Posts
Can you take a few pics showing both mags inserted with the slide off? The mag catch may be a tad bit too high which would raise the feed lips enough to contact the slide during cycling.

I agree with MGM, the one that works should be the one that doesn't due to it's condition but guns like what they like.... kind of like people?

·
Silver Bullet Member
579 Posts
Also, is there a spacer by the spine of either mag? If it's a parabellum mag, it should have the spacer by the spine. If it's a Largo mag, there is no spacer to allow for the longer COAL.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, is there a spacer by the spine of either mag? If it's a parabellum mag, it should have the spacer by the spine. If it's a Largo mag, there is no spacer to allow for the longer COAL.
It doesn't look like there is a spacer in either mag, I will take a pic tonight and post.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Only the early 9 Para mags for Model B have a spacer; Super mags never had a spacer (at least I've never seen one in Super B mag).

M

P.S. Spacers are found only in earlier mags that have solid floorplates.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
Some Model A or B mags will not seat in a Super without sticking from interference between the slide latch and the hold-open cut-out in the left wall of the mag. Often this can be cured by grinding back the vertical wall of the cut-out at the rear.

M

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update, took the gun and both magazines to the bench, removed the slide and the grips and attempted to look for any issues. Inserted and removed the magazines paying attention to the locking of the magazine. I also checked the height of the magazine once locked and looked for any movement.

All in all they both were very close to each other, but there was two differences, one seemed to have a more positive lock and seemed to ride higher once locked into place. After a good going over it appeared that the "tongue" of the magazine that was giving issues seem bent upward a little more then the other one. The working magazine had a very small gap between the frame and the other was touching, I decided to give it a "tweak" and noticed that it appeared to lock in better.

I also disassembled the magazine and realized that the spring was put in upside down (compared to the working magazine), I cleaned it and reassembled. Took her out to the range and after 50 rounds, not a single malfunction!!

Thanks for all the help and input from everyone.

Oh one last question, is there a secret to getting the grip screws to align properly? Both my guns are a pain to get in the grips screws and they don't sit fulling down into the grip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts