Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an ugly incident at the liquor store I decided I needed to carry more gun than my favorite Model S. I've carried .357s and my 1911 but they're heavy and the S&W 25-5 in 45LC is an anchor. My BM is heavy for a 9mm.

So I went looking for a PD that looked like it hadn't been worn out. Found this one. First chance I get I will take it down and inspect it and check out the buffer. Any recommendations on a source for a good quality replacement buffer? Also looking for some Pachmyrs.

Star PD 06.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very cool! I’ll be interested in how it does for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Buffers are available, I don’t know of any better than others....I simply change if I feel there is any degradation of the material. Buffers in my PD last a long time as the pistol is not fired extensively, just Enough to remain familiar with it’s shooting characteristics. The PD is a great pistol, carry it in a lined holster as the finish is a bit fragile.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buffers are available, I don’t know of any better than others....I simply change if I feel there is any degradation of the material. Buffers in my PD last a long time as the pistol is not fired extensively, just Enough to remain familiar with it’s shooting characteristics. The PD is a great pistol, carry it in a lined holster as the finish is a bit fragile.
I've been looking for buffers, no luck yet. Pretty sure the one that is in there is good for the time being as the pistol was obviously little used.

The holster I've been using for my 1911s and large frame stars is an Uncle Mike's nylon belt slide with a thumb break I can adjust to fit under the hammer when cocked and locked. I'm looking for a similar design in a lined leather holster. I know a guy who makes great holsters and he has made a couple of nice knife sheaths for me. I may have a talk with him about making a holster designed the way I want.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,720 Posts
In the 1980s Star changed the material used in the buffers and eliminated this problem. Unfortunately the change was not recorded, and the replacements look the same, so there 's no telling if you have the old or new. Just shoot it until it breaks, then replace it.

I don't think the Pachmayr grips for PDs are made any longer, but they can still be found occasionally at gun shows, even new in the box. Depending on
the size of your hand you may want to use (or delete) the front and/or rear straps. On early Pachmayr production the "shelf" on the left grip under the safety was not molded high enough to keep the safety from being rotated downward far enough to allow the safety detent plunger to fly out and be lost. Later production had a higher shelf. The cure on early ones is to press a small domed tack vertically into the shelf to act as a "stop".

M

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the 1980s Star changed the material used in the buffers and eliminated this problem. Unfortunately the change was not recorded, and the replacements look the same, so there 's no telling if you have the old or new. Just shoot it until it breaks, then replace it.

I don't think the Pachmayr grips for PDs are made any longer, but they can still be found occasionally at gun shows, even new in the box. Depending on
the size of your hand you may want to use (or delete) the front and/or rear straps. On early Pachmayr production the "shelf" on the left grip under the safety was not molded high enough to keep the safety from being rotated downward far enough to allow the safety detent plunger to fly out and be lost. Later production had a higher shelf. The cure on early ones is to press a small domed tack vertically into the shelf to act as a "stop".

M
Thanks for the info, Mike. I'm sure the Pachmayrs aren't made any longer so I'll have to find used or NOS somewhere. They're my favorite grips for my 1911s and I'm hoping they're just as good on the PD. I'll be careful to check on the safety fitment if I find a pair.

Although, if I find a nice par of real stag grips I'll be tempted to go that way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great choice going with the Star PD I have one and love it but not as much as my Star BM which allows quicker "follow-up" shots. The Star BM is my everyday carry, almost always in a shoulder holster, the same holster can be used for a Star PD. I bought two of the exact same model shoulder holster, one off Ebay, cost $54 which included shipping (the second I got at a country auction for $5, it was "New").

FYI:

Nearly any 1911-style buffer will work. I'll check where I bought mine from and post here but be aware it'll take a few days so "suscribe" to this thread to get email notifications.

Now purchase extra magazines, I have three (3), they have gotten pricey, expect to pay approx. $45 each.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,720 Posts
No reason to obsess over the buffer. If it's one of Star's new buffers it will last longer than the gun. If it's an older one it will give plenty of warning. Just examine it at every cleaning. When little pieces start coming off, replace it.

M

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do we know when Star switched buffers? Was by a year or serial number? Do the old style and new style buffers look the same?

·
44,794 Posts
Antaris book just says the original buffers were plastic and needed replacement after a few hundred rounds.

They switched to glass filled nylon and no further problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Antaris book just says the original buffers were plastic and needed replacement after a few hundred rounds.

They switched to glass filled nylon and no further problems.
Thank you. I'm relieved as it appears I have the later buffer.

Right after purchasing my Star PD I bought additional buffers, some with the "molded lip" some without.

My PD doesn't see much use, it was "unfired" by the original owner and I've only run three (3) mags through it. Before taking it to the range for the first time I stripped it down and checked the buffer, it was pristine and confirmed that it hadn't been fired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts