Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got my Star Model 1914 out and took some pictures. Meant to hit preview but posted the pics first without text. Oh well. I have been told in a previous thread that it is the officer's model. I had a magazine with it that I think was a converted Ruby magazine and I lucked out at a gun show and got two more. My gunsmith put a notch in them for the catch so they should work well but one is a bit too long, even though it locks up tight. Never got around to firing it yet, but have had it apart and it seems to be in good working order. I haven't been able to find original grips, anywhere. These are supposedly an old pair of sweetheart grips made of lucite or something similar. The bluing is gone and the stampings are barely visible. Don't know if it would be worth finding grips for it or not. Are there any light load commercial .32acp that would be good to test this out with?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wow! What a rare find! I personally cannot speak to the officer's model aspect, but any Star 1914 is hard to find. Personally, I would not spend the money to get original grips for an example lacking so much finish, although reproductions would be ideal. Perhaps try these? STAR I, .32ACP, 9 RD MAGAZINE OR GRIPS - Triple K

Regarding shooting it, I did a fairly detailed write up on .32 ammo that I can post if you wish. Long story short, most modern newly loaded .32ACP is around 1000fps, with PPU being a bit slower at 900fps.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: skorper

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow! What a rare find! I personally cannot speak to the officer's model aspect, but any Star 1914 is hard to find. Personally, I would not spend the money to get original grips for an example lacking so much finish, although reproductions would be ideal. Perhaps try these? STAR I, .32ACP, 9 RD MAGAZINE OR GRIPS - Triple K

Regarding shooting it, I did a fairly detailed write up on .32 ammo that I can post if you wish. Long story short, most modern newly loaded .32ACP is around 1000fps, with PPU being a bit slower at 900fps.

Thanks for sharing!
If you think the guns are hard to find, try finding mags (triple K has had me on back order for at least 6 months) or even worse, an original holster. I’ve been searching for years - no joy.

NO LIVE AUCTIONS ALLOWED

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I've attached a link to my Star. Dimensionally, it fits the "Officers Model" description.
Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for sharing!
Yes I have discovered that these are hard to find. This one was brought back by an American soldier from Europe. WWII veteran. I bought it from his widow back in the 1990s. He told her that it had been gifted to him. But he told others at the American Legion hall that he had done some "horse trading" for it. Either way, doesn't matter. I haven't shot it. I didn't really have much interest in it when I bought it as I didn't know what it was, but I was known as "the guy who buys guns". I was working a lot of overtime and making pretty good money and after work I'd stop and have a couple of beers. Folks would bring a gun in the trunk of their car if they needed some cash and I'd buy it. I think I'll try the PPU. I like the .303 British PPU ammo for my Enfields.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you think the guns are hard to find, try finding mags (triple K has had me on back order for at least 6 months) or even worse, an original holster. I’ve been searching for years - no joy.

NO LIVE AUCTIONS ALLOWED
Yes, I had no luck. The one that came with mine looks to be a converted Ruby mag according to my gunsmith. It locks up fine though and I found two others, Ruby mags I think, at a gunshow. My gunsmith put the notches in them for the catch and even though one is longer (sticks out of the bottom of the magwell) it seems to me that it would work as they fit and lock up well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've attached a link to my Star. Dimensionally, it fits the "Officers Model" description.
Hope this helps a bit.

Yes it does, thank you. I posted this a couple of years ago and that is what I was told.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as these grips go, if they are indeed sweetheart grips then the guy removed whatever photos might have been held behind them way before I bought it, and then painted the backs black. I see that the serial number falls within the range of the ones that were delivered to the French military so I suppose that this was in French service well before the onset of WWII. while researching these pistols I see that a couple of really good videos about them have been posted on youtube. Supposedly these were of good manufacturing quality and weren't finished by individuals at home with a bit of machining equipment like the Ruby's were.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.