Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just added a Gras M1874 (Mle. 1866-74 M80) to my SCW (Spanish Civil War) collection. The stamped "MADE IN FRANCE" shows SCW use. The MADE IN USSR stamp indicates that a 91/30 went to Spain.
Can you imagine how desperate the Republican forces were to pay the U.S.S.R. in gold for this single shot 11mm black powder rifle which began life as a Chassepot Model 1866 needle fired rifle actually made in 1871? It was then converted to use the new center fire brass cased service cartridge after 1874 and had a gas escape added after 1880. This veteran antique rifle was supplied to Imperial Russia by France in WWI. And, just in case it wasn't obsolete enough in 1916, Stalin had it pulled out
of a storehouse for obsolete arms and sold it to Spain some 20 years later...... What I do not know for sure is who stamped the five pointed star on the top of the reciever tang and a larger one like it just behind the rear sling swivel mount on the buttstock. I would guess it to be either post Revolution USSR
or in Spain. Does anyone know more about this marking? None of my non SCW Gras have these marks.
However the French used a star marking on some non French made pistols acquired from Spain in WWI and on the SVW P-38s made when they took over the Mauser factory at the end of WWII.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of it?

Something like 450,000 Gras rifles were sold to Russia in WWI, as you note.
Very cool single-shot!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of it?

Something like 450,000 Gras rifles were sold to Russia in WWI, as you note.
Very cool single-shot!

My camera and computer are not communicating......The marking is a five pointed star, outline only, nothing in the center, evenly stamped, not etched or scratched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts