Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was graduating from high school in 1962 I drooled over ads for the Star Lancer in 22LR. But I never encountered one nor had the opportunity to order one. They just seemed to have gone away. I did get a Star FR .22 and carried for many field seasons in a shoulder holster. It nearly shot me one day when coming into our cabin. As I swung the shoulder holster off the hammer of the holstered gun bumped the floor hard enough to cause it to discharge. I never found where the bullet went, but at least it didn't hit me! But the Lancer evaded me until recently when I won this brand new 1962 Lancer on GunBroker. I paid an unreasonable amount for it, but I cared not. I finally ended up with a pistol I had longed for way back when and now had in my grubby hands. Here are a few shots:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,723 Posts
...I did get a Star FR .22 and carried for many field seasons in a shoulder holster. It nearly shot me one day when coming into our cabin. As I swung the shoulder holster off the hammer of the holstered gun bumped the floor hard enough to cause it to discharge. I never found where the bullet went, but at least it didn't hit me! ...
Such "drop-fires" are the reason why Star (and Astra) switched c. 1978 to inertial firing pins across the board of its product line, except where military or police customers specified positive pins. Institutional doctrine in those days was to carry the pistol with a full magazine but the chamber empty; in any situation sufficiently hazardous to justify loading the chamber, the hammer would be cocked, and the manual safety put "ON".

M

·
Registered
738 Posts
I’ve not posted these before but here are my Lancer with a dark purple frame. Included my Star Starlet in 25 acp.

D1EB7CC8-802B-41F1-A413-B9E2F30F8DA0.jpeg

·
Silver Bullet member
27,979 Posts
Now you have me curious, it looks like the Lancer uses similar-style mags to the Star Model F (probably shorter). I wonder if they use the same follower and floorplate.

·
Silver Bullet member
27,979 Posts
Could you by chance get a pic of the followers to see if they are the same?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yes Bill they work fine on the range when I want a place to stick my leftover finger (six on each hand you know:cross

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,723 Posts
The problem with that is that there's no positive stop to prevent over-insertion and potentially (depending on your grip) dragging the magazine feed lips against the underside of the slide; on some guns it may also damage the ejector.

M

·
Registered
112 Posts
bws1944---I used to gaze longingly at a Win M50 shotgun in the window of "Jackson Square Hardware" when in junior high. Can well appreciate your desire to finally consumate your wishes!

Finally got my M50 (not nearly as nice as your Star) at a gun show a few years ago--

1 - 20 of 24 Posts