Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new bayo I've picked up has the Star K Nagoya marking on the blade. I've been unable to find any references to that mark. Help please ? The serial number on the rear of the pommel is 96779. There are two other clear marks as well and if they correspond to the same marks in the rifle data sheets I would provide them if necessary.

The round part of the guard that fits over the rifle barrel has been slightly deformed as if by a force from the top thus it will not fit onto a rifle. Can this be adjusted ? I don't want to begin hammering if that is not the correct fix.

Thank you,
Dana

·
Silver Bullet member
2,369 Posts
The star K is is a well known mark, although I am not going to venture a guess as to the name of the company. The markings preceeding the serial number are series marks like on rifles. Because they made far mor bayonets than rifles, they go beyond what is know for rifles. These marks are 1 or 2 marks using katakana, hirangana or both. Katakana is what is normaly seen on rifle series marks. Hirangana is I guess like a "cursive" form of katakana. I don't have the documentation immediatley available, but combination of these marks determines what series the bayonet is. Usually below the serial number is an inspectors mark.
I suppose you could use a round mandrel to get the attaching ring round again, but that is up to you.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
I believe the company name is Kanashiro - beyond that we'll need Edokko's help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Windstar, I straightened the barrel loop on a type 30 bayonet by slipping a long tapered punch in the hole and gently tapping the outside with a small ballpeen hammer. It was squished almost 1/3 of the way shut. Brass hammer would be better. the steel in the crossguard seemed fairly soft. Go slow at first and use more force if needed. Some will say leave it alone, but I like for the bayonet to go on the rifle.

jim

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I learned from Carl's site and a link, that the star K is Kanashiyo Sakugan-ki. Still, an unknown manufacturer under Nagoya supervision. I will go slow in the re-rounding of the loop. Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
It's "Kanashiro Sakugan-ki Seizo KK" or "Kaneshiro Sakugan-ki Seizo KK" and originally was a boring machine (not ho-hum boring but mine boring) manufacturer. An industrial machinery company that went defunct many many years ago and not much info remaining about it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Takehito ever thought about the Tientsin arsenal marks resemblance to symbol for telegraph/phone company Japan? Always wondered if they weren't made by them.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Jareth, yea, I dwelt on that but decided that mark just came from the initial of Tienshin and not from the "Postal" logo. I'm not even sure the Postal Services were using that logo back in the war days and earlier.

·
Silver Bullet member
622 Posts
It’s easier to call it Star K

Kanashiro = metal castle, it’s also a last name in Japan
Sakuganki = rock drilling machine
This is a long Japanese name: Metal Castle Rock Drilling Machine Manufacturing Company Limited.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Edokko

However it is spelled or pronounced or to where the company has drifted off into history matters not, this bayo will remain a prized possession in my collection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts