Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my thread disappeared again.

I posted a thread about my BM beginning to have failures to extract.

MGMike very graciously posted some helpful tips (things a non-gunsmith can try).

These included an attempt to clean under and around the extractor, which I attempted by spraying in some Break Free and blowing it out with air (after soaking for a few hours).

I did not seriously try polishing out the chamber, mainly because the nice lady who sold me the BM offered to foot the bill for a real honest-to-goodness gunsmith (with a good reputation) to check it out.

That's where it is now.

I will post up the results when I know them.

Thanks MGMike.

Will

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marital Status of "Nice Gun Lady"

I'll check.

In case she's not, send me a pic of your gun collection to show her.

Line forms below here.

Will

PS: For the record, MGMike is first in line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the nature of the failure? I have a BM that would pull the extractor off the rim of the case and leave the empty partially in the chamber. The first thought was to replace the extractor, since the one in use looked somewhat worn but this made no difference whatsoever.

I saw a suggestion in a forum (maybe this one?) that the recoil spring may be weak so I swapped in one from another BM. This MAY have solved the problem. There were no failures while firing a few mags but it will have to be further tested with more shooting. Prior to the recoil spring change, this pistol would not make it thru even one full magazine at all without at least one, usually more stoppages.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds pretty much the same.

It would leave the empty either lodged in the chamber (would come right out when pulled by fingernail) or leave it partially extracted.

I haven't heard a verdict yet from the gunsmith.

I'll post whatever answers I manage to get.

I have a BKM which is my most frequent CCW and another BM which is on loan to my daughter-in-law.

Both of which run without a problem.

Will

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,797 Posts
I can't imagine why the recoil spring would have any effect at all on extraction. Can someone explain why?

M

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I called the smith this morning and he tends to agree with Derelict's suggestion. He thinks it's a weak recoil spring.

I also asked, WTHeck?

He said that the weak recoil spring affected the timing, allowing the slide to start back too soon and too rapidly before the (very briefly and temporarily) expanded case could shrink back enough to easily slide free of the chamber. And that, further, the extractor is designed to "slip" off if the case is stuck in order to avoid breakage.

He seemed confident that a new recoil spring will solve the problem. He's looking for one (or will make one) in his shop. I guess we'll see. Does anyone know where I can get one (can always use a spare)?

So, what do you think?

Thanks for the input.

Will

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,797 Posts
Quote: "And that, further, the extractor is designed to "slip" off if the case is stuck in order to avoid breakage."

Utter and complete nonsense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He was selected by the lady that sold me the BM (and is paying the bill).

Maybe I'll just get my money back.

At any rate, I'll wait a bit before springing for any parts myself.

Thanks.

Will

1 - 9 of 9 Posts