Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I got my Star B from Aim yesterday. It is in very good condition. There was just some wear on the sights and a little surface scratch on the right side of the barrel. Everything got fixed after a thorough cleanup of the cosmoline in 10 minutes with a little touch up with cold blue.

One small thing I noticed is the trigger. The pull is lighter than my Taurus .357magnum when I shoot it in single action (hammer pulled back then hit the trigger). I understand it has been rebuilt by the Soviets and all that is related to part swappings...hehehe.

One big thing I have an issue with and here I need your help: The safety lever. behind the safety lever, there is a small spring and it catch into 2 notches on the safety lever flat part along the gun frame. Sometimes, it stucks, sometimes it is too easy to move it and when I half cock, then pull back to full cock, the safety goes off (I understand it is normal) but the trigger is still stuck. If I pull it down, the hammer goes off back to half cock sometimes and hit the firing pin some other times.

Anyone has a solution about that poorly designed safety?

And no, I won't remove it. I know it shoots perfectly without the safety pin or the spring, but I would like to fix it myself if I can. If not, the gun will visit my favorite gunsmith.

Thank you

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,853 Posts
The safety was not poorly designed, and what you understand is "normal" is not.

I don't know how you propose to fix it without removing it.

It's only ME, mind you, but I would not take a pistol to the range if the safety were not functioning correctly.

Take it to a gunsmith who understands Star pistols and get it fixed right.

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings,

I was able to solve the issue! Yay!
I did look all around and found on the ground through the carpet fiber (doh!) the plunger. I installed it and I cleaned thoroughly the trigger assembly. Everything is now working fine.

Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Greetings,

I was able to solve the issue! Yay!
I did look all around and found on the ground through the carpet fiber (doh!) the plunger. I installed it and I cleaned thoroughly the trigger assembly. Everything is now working fine.

Thank you
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Consider it an initiation rite.

Everyone here who has not been on their knees searching for one of those damn things shout "Yo".

See! Hear that silence?

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
I got my Star B a couple of days ago. I too thought the safety a little rough in operation. I took it off and pulled the plunger. At the bottom of the plunger spring well I found a few coils of spring. Evidently the spring is a replacement and a bit of the original spring was left in the pistol. works better now, but still rough. I should not have to "jiggle" the hammer to get the safety to engage. My thinking is that I may need to polish the radius on the end of the safety detent plunger to smooth it up. I am basically happy with the pistol, although I need to bake out the grip panels to get rid of a lot of oil or cosmoline or whatever that stuff is. whatever the ad said, my grips are NOT synthetic!

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you say "BAKE OUT THE GRIP PANELS" may I suggest putting it in a sunny window on some paper toweling or maybe a couple of feet above the heat register but not in an oven , I believe the parts are too small and they may crack. The methods I suggest are maybe a little slower but still shouldn't take more than a day or so. There is also a method of mixing Calcium carbonate( chalk) with acetone or other quick drying stuff to make a paste then painting it on an oily stock, then let it dry, the chalk as it dries sucks the oils out of the stock , then you just brush off the dry but oily chalk. www.brownells.com sells it as Brownell's Old Fashioned Whiting search (old fashion whiting)

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
Good points, BEARMAN, thanks. I was going to wrap the grip panels in paper toweling and poke them in the microwave... do that a few times with fresh paper towels each time, and allowing for cool downs - then on to acetone, etc. What do you think?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,853 Posts
The safety HAS to cam back the hammer slightly in order to lift the hammer off the sear. Otherwise if the trigger were pulled with the safety on, the sear could not freely reset when the trigger was released; when the safety was thereafter disengaged, the hammer would not stay cocked. It would fall to half-cock.

M

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
Yes, of course. The point I was really getting at was that the desirable camming action wasn't happening because the engaging faces of the hammer heel (spur?) and the edge of the "flat" on the thumb safety pin were two-blocking, rather than bypassing each other. I read several posts wherein the posters mentioned that they had to pull the hammer back a bit to engage the safety. That ain't right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts