Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How scarce are these? The one I am looking at is all matching but the stock has been sanded somewhat heavy handedly rounding off the edges and obliterating some of the ReichsPost cartouche. The blue is very nice - mid 90% except for the bands which are more gray. The bore is excellent and there are no import marks. No sling or cleaning rod either. It is marked DRP Kbg Schw in 3 lines within the sling recess which also includes an inverted P. What should I expect to pay for one like this? I'll see if I can get some pictures if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
un-touched price would be 2-3 k. Bad stock cut that in half at least... Bad wood is like a m.m. bolt cuts the value in half
from what I've seen.. Wapruf2 will tell us what the sling well marking mean..It a district stamp..city/town ect...Not all d.r.p.'s have these extra stampings...

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
DRP=Deutsches Reichspost = German Empire Mail
Kbg = probably Königsberg (now Kaliningrad) in former East Prussia
Schw = no idea; please confirm marking. Perhaps a sub-district?
Any indication that the Kbg has been cancelled?

Disregard previous.
DRP = Deutsches Reichspost = German Empire Mail
Kbg = Königsberg (Bavaria, not Ostpreussen)
Schw = Schwaben = district of Königsberg (Bavaria)

Sorry about that...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
YES, that's a drp rifle made from a left over 'standard modell' receiver. Normally it would have the mauser oberndorf side ledgend on the side of the receiver. But, this is totally correct. Its actually harder to find. Stock matches. They add an extra zero
to the serial # on the stock for what ever reason. I cant see the other serial numbers to well but, they look ok. There are different serial ranges for "banner" rifles and Bruce98k is sorting this all out for the pre-war book.. The stock is'nt as bad as I thought it would be. When dealing in hard to find rilfes sometimes you have to take what you can get. I'd say the 1500.00$ range would'nt beout of the question for this one..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. All the numbers do match near as I can tell. The forward H band is marked with a number 15 (sn)on the side and with S28 on the bottom and I'm not sure what that may mean or indicate.

·
Gold Bullet member
433 Posts
In my opinion, the added SN's on the bands, screws and buttplate are post issue applied numbers and not factory applied.
This does not detract from the value at all. Post issue denotes marking of additional SNs at regional depot or acceptance area
for DRP, DR (Reichsbahn) and ChdA (SA) issued rifles. This is my best estimate at when and where these additional numbers were applied.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been my understanding that these rifles were part of Adolph's plan to re-arm Germany. Arming the post office was within the terms of the treaty Germany had signed after WW1 and the rest of the world would not have raised an eyebrow over storm trooper letter carriers. At least that is what I've been told and always thought.
It is not clear to me why you say the factory would not have serialized the parts. Why would the recipients of the rifles take them down and remark them? Seems like lots of extra work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The "S28" marking on your barrel band has been linked to post WWI produced Gew 98's and Karab 98b's I believe. Wish I'd saved the link I found. I also have one of these barrel bands as well as some other S28-marked parts.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Doesn't anyone but me think it could be a reblue. The mauser banner and date on top look a little buffed out to me in the pics. Or is it just the pics?
These are pre-war commercial quality fit/finish rifles and look quite a bit different than most new production and issue German K98k's of the pre-war and war time period. One exception being the Portuguese contracts. That said I think in this case the pics are OK and for me it at least do not suggest re-finish. Of course nothing beats hands/eyes on.

Scott

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It is just you mto7464. As I hold it in my hands, I am quite certain it is not a reblue.
One must remember, This receiver is a leftover standard modell "export" receiver. Not a true 'banner' receiver which were made at a higher quality level...The chinese export rifles were often made with second rate parts...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
bcd4

any bcd4 with a higher polished blue thats dark, is a saure finished rifle..Bcd4's were always a sub-contracted part. In 43 and 44 j.p.s. received some of these receivers. They were still polishing there receivers..You should be able to see the proofs are eagle/37 on the top of the receiver not eagle/749
Also anotherr sign is saure uses small test proofs and Gustloff uses large eagle test proofs..

·
Registered
83 Posts
S/147/G 5333f, 2nd variation non RC, Bolt mismatched, owned it years ago
S/147/G, 2425a,2nd variation, All match , including stock, screws, original 90% blue, bought it off the floor at the OVMCS show in Wilmington last month, unfortunately Bubba got hold of it in 1968, as was told to me, missing upper handguard,bayonet lug,both upper bands and retainer spring, upper part of stock, which is matching, really nice rifle except for Bubba. I'll try some photos later

1 - 19 of 19 Posts