Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Standard Modell in 7X57 that I think is an early export model, but I'd like some help identifying it more completely. It has the MAUSER banner and 1933 on the receiver ring and Standard Modell 1924 on the left side receiver wall. The SN -240XX - is on the left side of the receiver ring. There are no national crests or other model numbers. The handguard extends back to the receiver and there is a hood on the front sight. The bolt handle is turned down and the stock is relieved below the bolt handle. There is a unit marking disc on the right side of the stock and the H-type front ring is pinned in place. There is Gewehr 98-type quick-release rear sling swivel with one mounting stud below and behind the stock wrist and another on the left side of the wrist, mounted via a reinforcing bolt-type bolt through the stock. There are two front sling swivels, one below the handguard ring and one on its left side.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi erikpolcrack,
How long is the barrel? Can you post pictures? What is the barrel serial number and caliber marking visible on the barrel when the gun is out of the stock? How do you know that it's 7x57?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John -

I don't have the rifle in hand yet. I bought it on GunBroker, Item# 419461914. If you can log in and see the pictures, fine. If not, if you can send me a direct email address, I'll forward to you the 'you won' email. I'm pretty sure you can access the picture via the 'view item' window in that message. I usually forward the 'you won' message to my receiving FFL and he gets the info from it.

Thanks!

- Erik

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both Brazil and Chile had 1935 Standard Modell Carbines and Short Rifles with front sight hoods. Such a 'Kar98a bolt' was also standard on the large numbers of CZ VZ24jcs the Brazilians got from the defeated Sao Paulo rebels.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Have'nt been able to pull the pic off of GB, but sounds like this is part of the 15,000 piece order placed originally by the South Chinese Government. This order went to Brazil after the Chinese failed to come up with the money to pay for the order. The VZ24s were lightened and the bolt was bent and the ball was knurled. They were in the 7x57 cal. As far as the sight hood, the only VZ that Ive seen slotted for a sight hood was the VZ23. As far as the whole Standard Modell thing. I'll wait for Mister Wall to give his opinion.

·
3,472 Posts
John -

I don't have the rifle in hand yet. I bought it on GunBroker, Item# 419461914. If you can log in and see the pictures, fine. If not, if you can send me a direct email address, I'll forward to you the 'you won' email. I'm pretty sure you can access the picture via the 'view item' window in that message. I usually forward the 'you won' message to my receiving FFL and he gets the info from it.

Thanks!

- Erik
Hi Erik,
Thank you for posting the Gunbroker auction number. I have copied the photos from the auction and will post them below.

Generally speaking, when a GB seller mentions in passing that the rifle he is offering has no matching numbers and that he is selling it "as is" (as did this seller), he is trying to tell us that his auction lot is very low-end. Unfortunately, I am afraid that this is the case with this carbine. This judgement is well-supported by severe differences in the condition of the various parts, which range from the pitted and refiniished receiver to the near-new appearance of the bolt shroud and upper barrel band.

To be blunt, the rifle looks like a put-together parts rifle. Except for the receiver, the great majority of the parts most likely came from Brazil, or from someone who had access to lots of Brazilian Mauser parts, as other posters have implied. The stock and lower barrel band came from a Brno-made Mofdel 1908/34 carbine and the handguard and maybe barrel and rear sight leaf from a DWM-made Model 1908 carbine. Regarding the rear sight hood, although all the South American ABC countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile) used Model 1935 carbines made at Oberndorf, none are known to have been made with sight hoods, although the Chilean and Brazilian carbines have sight guards.

So far anyway, there are no known cases were a Mauser Banner carbine with a 22 in barrel was made using a receiver with STANDARD-MODELL on the siderail. In other words, the receiver on your carbine should originally have been attached to a short rifle with a 23.25 inch (60 cm) long barrel.
Regards,
John

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with your overall assessment, but am satisfied with the acquisition, especially considering the price. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me where the original rifle went from Oberndorf. I have seen several lists of early Standard Modells, and this serial number fits into what two different lists refer to as the first export gap - the few rifles before and those after being supplied to the German government - mostly the post office and railroad, I believe. When I get it, I'll verify caliber and barrel length and see if there is a matching barrel serial number.

·
3,472 Posts
When I get it, I'll verify caliber and barrel length and see if there is a matching barrel serial number.
Hi Erik.
You have highlighted a problem that continually bothers me: When a seller declines to disassemble a rifle in response to a bidder's request. In this case, the removal of the handguard would have been a piece of cake, requiring no tools and about 10 seconds of effort to depress the band retaining spring.

Also, in re-examining the photos, I'm wondering if the barrel might be longer than 22 inches....or maybe it's just the angle from which the pics were taken?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John -

My eyes have been telling me the same thing all along - part of my confusion. It just looks like there is too much barrel sticking out in front of that carbine stock. I kept thinking there was no way the bayonet would mount! I just got word it's shipping - I'm really looking forward to seeing the barrel S/N.

- Erik

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
This is a parts rifle.

Receiver is Standard Modell (condition and blued over pitting suggests Chinese use).
Bolt body is K98a type and appears to have Polish markings.
Extractor and extractor ring have Brazilian markings.
Bolt body, bolt sleeve/safety, and cocking piece all have different finishes.
Barrel is 600mm, too long for stock, and appears to have K98k front sight/hood.
Rear sight and handguard are from something like a M1933 or M1935 carbine.
Stock with short bayonet lug is Brazilian M1908/34 and has non-standard MOD 08-34 marking.
Front band is Chilean M1935.
Trigger guard does not appear to have SM type serial number.
Floorplate has serial number style and placement wrong for SM.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.