Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Standard Arms Model G in 35 Rem. My question concerns the gas plug or valve that switches from semi auto to Pump action. If I understand correctly you close the plug for pump and open for semi - please correct me if I'm wrong. The big question is - how far do I open (unscrew) the plug?
I've found lots of information about takedown, disassembly, etc but not about the gas plug.
Oh yeah, does anyone know what the proper front sight is on these rifles? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The square end of the gas plug has a hash mark (-) on one flat.
There is the word 'OFF' stamped on the left side of the gas inlet tube.

When the hash mark is alligned with the 'OFF' the plug is closed,,this position for Pump Action use.

For semiauto,,,open (unscrew) the plug 1/4 turn. That will place the hash mark at 12 oclock.
You won't be able to actually see the mark IIRC as it will be under the gas tube assembly. But the square shape of the plug will easily allow you to know how far you turned it (unscrew).

All that it does when in the semiauto position is to allaign a cut-out in the inside, rear portion of that plug that allows gas from the bbl above to move out of the bbl, down and then back into the gas tube.
Turning the plug 90* just places that channel out of position with the gas port hole in the bbl and cuts off any gas from moving into the gas tube.

I don't know what they used for a front sight. Probably most any period Lyman, Redfield, Pacific type rifle front sight w/a bead would be correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.