Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Remembering that these were all for the most built on very veteran receivers should explain that myriad of stampings. I always like rifles with receivers like that as they hold many untold stories and bring much fascination to me. Enjoy that vet for what it is! Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts
How the eff they "punched" any thing into the metal, is what I want to know. The steel Mosins are made out of seems unlike any of the more common steels I've seen, possibly excepting tool steel. They had to have gone through punches like socks!

·
Copper Bullet member
146 Posts
Not necessarily. Realizing that it's a Soviet or Russian receiver so this wouldn't apply, but a friend and fellow collector who served in the Red Army (and whose father was a master machinist in the old USSR and knows a thing or two about steel) contends that the post-war satellite-produced Mosins used inferior steel to the Russian and Soviet production. This wouldn't be completely out of character: they often had "export models" of much of their equipment that wasn't as good as the Soviet stuff.

All that being said, the stamp work looks to me like the result of a classic combination of alcohol, boredom and hand tools. It could happen to anyone... ;-)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
This thread is hilarious!!...yet, surprisingly informative!!!... ;)

·
Copper Bullet Member
170 Posts
Perhaps this is classic communist efficiency on display. " sir the armory had no more rifles to refurbish, we just sent off the last truckload, what will we do for work!?!" "Dooont worry comrad, I sent them arround the block, they will be back soon with an entire truck load of rifles that need to be checked"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.