Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as discussed in previous thread, let's re-boot this challenge.
Simple rules to follow:

1. Target must be at least at 300yds distance.
2. 10 shots string (ammo of your choice).
3. Target size: general "Head Size" target (could be gallon of milk / water and etc).
4. Rifle: any surplus rifle.

Here is my 1st entry:
Equipment used: 1944 Izhevsk with Yoshkar-Ola PU Scope (refurbished), ammo Red Army Standard (Tula) 148gr
Weather: 50F, Wind 8mph
Results: 8 Hits and 2 misses. Both misses were on the last round from each "magazine load".
All hits on target fit inside 7" radius.
It took me roughly 4 minutes and 9 seconds to complete the whole challenge, so no rush. Tons of fun!

Gun Firearm Shotgun Machine gun Air gun
Line Grey Iron Metal Parallel
Photography Material property Lens Camera accessory Cosmetics
Brown Bag Webbing Strap Safety glove
Signage Sign Symbol Field Prairie
Blue Text Colorfulness Font Majorelle blue

·
Registered
29 Posts
300 is a distance I haven't shot in some time. That said, I managed 8 shots on a 8in plate from 180ish yards earlier today with my 28/30. A bit of practice and I think I could do this challenge. Maybe tomorrow (though probably not until Feb).

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I havent any 'New stuff" in the relm of headshots on film or pictures, just old stuff.

I need a good 'sit down and shoot for the hell of it' , sometime.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
300 is a distance I haven't shot in some time. That said, I managed 8 shots on a 8in plate from 180ish yards earlier today with my 28/30. A bit of practice and I think I could do this challenge. Maybe tomorrow (though probably not until Feb).
Honestly, those 300yds "head shots" make me work for it with that PU scope for sure. Placement of that thick post will make a difference and one has to pay attention to where the tip of the post actually sits in relation to the target. I had some light wind to deal with too, but it was enough to move my rounds. I was actually aiming on the right edge and few of my shots drifted left rather substantially...all good training and those two misses are great lessons.
Now imagine that those guys were slaughtering each other in harsh conditions, cold, wet, hungry, tired and with artillery rounds or bombs randomly landing all over the places...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not really appropriate as the rifle needed a bit more work on zeroing but just to show an SVT 40 may be up for the challenge. Had just finished using a 03-A3 and Swiss rifle and thought I'd try the SVT at 300m using some foul Chinese surplus. Only fired 9 because every second or third shot was mis-firing and I ran out. As shown by the circles, 5 of 9 are inside a 9cm/ 3.5" diameter and 7 of 9 are in a 17cm/ 6.5" diameter. The two "flyers" are probably due to my lack of practice with this rifles horrible trigger and I was rushing/ was cold and windy, etc. This level of 300m accuracy compares well with a couple of post-war tests of various rifles by the Soviets which saw PU Snipers keeping 50% of shots in circles of 10 and 13 cm at 300m (from Alex/Ratnik's marvelous book, pg 316).
The rifle is a refurbed original Sniper with a non-refurbed 1940 SVT scope on a repro bracket. Nice to see usable accuracy with dirt-cheap ammo that also calibrates with the scope settings.I'm looking forward to making a more serious attempt at the challenge when I can get to the range again (currently snowed in).

Ruprecht

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really appropriate as the rifle needed a bit more work on zeroing but just to show an SVT 40 may be up for the challenge. Had just finished using a 03-A3 and Swiss rifle and thought I'd try the SVT at 300m using some foul Chinese surplus. Only fired 9 because every second or third shot was mis-firing and I ran out. As shown by the circles, 5 of 9 are inside a 9cm/ 3.5" diameter and 7 of 9 are in a 17cm/ 6.5" diameter. The two "flyers" are probably due to my lack of practice with this rifles horrible trigger and I was rushing/ was cold and windy, etc. This level of 300m accuracy compares well with a couple of post-war tests of various rifles by the Soviets which saw PU Snipers keeping 50% of shots in circles of 10 and 13 cm at 300m (from Alex/Ratnik's marvelous book, pg 316).
The rifle is a refurbed original Sniper with a non-refurbed 1940 SVT scope on a repro bracket. Nice to see usable accuracy with dirt-cheap ammo that also calibrates with the scope settings.I'm looking forward to making a more serious attempt at the challenge when I can get to the range again (currently snowed in).

Ruprecht View attachment 3777303 View attachment 3777304
I would say that you did very good. 300m = 330yds roughly and your group kicks ass! Outstanding job!
Beautiful rifle too, thank you for posting!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’ll give this an unofficial try some time soon, best I have access to is 200 yards unfortunately but I’ll try a reduced target. Great idea

·
Registered
19,034 Posts
Your weather app said visibility was 10 miles, and you only shot 300 yards? Where was the "Challenge"?
Good Grease Martin ! Its only 3 football fields away, Rob is sand bagging us !

Its a good comment about hard work, a head shot is not plinking and you fight weather conditions regardless of
season. I hear it all the time from guys with precision rigs ( Accuracy Int'l platforms, Night Forces scopes from hell) that fog is obscuring target, winds are gusting today, its really cold to be shooting, mirage is beastly today. I tell them we live on this planet , we shoot weather and you got work harder.

This shooting test is a decent test. WWII optics on a head shot at 300m (or yds). Its harder at 600 but its no cake walk at 300....this is all hard work...satisfying but frustrating at times. Winds not so much at 300 but "wiggle" and inattention you got to work through.

Who shot this at 300 with iron sights...BLess You Brother ! That is shouting rights !!

Ruprecht : Jezzzzzzzzzz, send me your address, I'll donate some new targets . That target looks like a patch quilt. If I pass this eye test , you got combat torso accuracy and not too shabby.

Caribou: you get a pass here, you're iron shots on game is filmed in worse conditions at 300 and beyond.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear it all the time from guys with precision rigs ( Accuracy Int'l platforms, Night Forces scopes from hell) that fog is obscuring target, winds are gusting today, its really cold to be shooting, mirage is beastly today. I tell them we live on this planet , we shoot weather and you got work harder.
Amen to this. I take my guys to shoot in the rain. They couldn't compute first. Optics were getting "rain drops", vision was obscured by smudges on the glass, their balls were getting wet and cold. But that force them to improvise. Carboard ammo box could be used as an extension on the front of the scope and it will block the rain drops. You can completely cover yourself and gun in poncho and still keep and eye on targets. If I bring tarp i don't have to be covered in mud and etc...real life lessons there...lol!

·
Registered
19,034 Posts
One of the best shooting experiences ever was the severely cold day, on 1000 yd line in a blinding snow storm of fat fat snow flakes. A really great shooter next to me with a Sako TRG sniper rig and NF scope, I had my PU Sniper. We had a guy in the pits to mark out targets (the 1000 yd competition bullseyes). When the snow blinded me the TRG shooter was likewise blind but when I saw a shadow of the bullseye and could fire, the TRG shooter was still blinded by all his optical power. What was happening was Russian ingenuity: that 3.5x PU scope won't suck in snow and blind you and you can take the shot and the modern scope shooter could not see anything but white.

Effective fires: shooter has to see the target and the Russian PU Sniper Rifle in conditions it was made to shoot in....will perform. Under those conditions, I was not handicapped by WWII technology one bit. Plus...that big sight post reticle in the scope was a blessing to use in those conditions, a Horus reticle or modern reticle were useless in those conditions.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,281 Posts
6/10 within 7" radius. PU sniper, prone, using surplus ammo, 300 yd, 5 minute. Shot this 5 years ago, first time at distance with the rifle. This was my 4th round out of 10, where I finally doped it in (and then watched the spread open with barrel heat)

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob Ski

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its a good comment about hard work, a head shot is not plinking and you fight weather conditions regardless of
season. I hear it all the time from guys with precision rigs ( Accuracy Int'l platforms, Night Forces scopes from hell) that fog is obscuring target, winds are gusting today, its really cold to be shooting, mirage is beastly today. I tell them we live on this planet , we shoot weather and you got work harder.
Amen to that, went shooting other day, Halfway to my range it ended up turning into a foggy sideways rain windstorm in the area of where I like to shoot in the mountains.
I'm not one to make a trip for nothing.

Granted I could barely make out a 8 x 10 in piece of scrap metal through the fog I like to use as a makeshift gong at 419 yards.
And despite being absolutely dripping wet with rain, I will say the challenge of hitting 4/5 shots with a PU sniper and last of some surplus ammo was a challenge haven't had in a while, and won't stray from the challenge in the future.

Plus it makes getting back home to some hot coffee even greater... :whistle::coffee:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, those 300yds "head shots" make me work for it with that PU scope for sure. Placement of that thick post will make a difference and one has to pay attention to where the tip of the post actually sits in relation to the target. I had some light wind to deal with too, but it was enough to move my rounds. I was actually aiming on the right edge and few of my shots drifted left rather substantially...all good training and those two misses are great lessons.
Now imagine that those guys were slaughtering each other in harsh conditions, cold, wet, hungry, tired and with artillery rounds or bombs randomly landing all over the places...
Indeed. I can at least replicate some of the environmental conditions at my range though, which is half the fun. You can barely see it, but across the pond there's a 8in plate, about 200ish yards from where me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts