Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe someone else mentioned this movie and I finally just got around to watching it and I just saw a scene where a sniper is using a PU sniper but the rifle is a Dragoon rifle. My question is, did they ever retrofit Dragoon's to become a PU sniper during the war?
Also I noticed some of the 91/30's, the globe front sights are really far up on the barrel as well. Sorry, I'm just nitpicking the movie now. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The English dubbing over the actual Russian talking was more embarrassing. It reminded me of those cheesy 70's kung-fu movies. Just without the.. Kung-fu.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,489 Posts
I had low expectations and still felt as if the $1.50 was wasted.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Dang I saw it in theaters and didn't think it was that bad! I too noticed the dragoon sniper, and other mistakes, but I wasn't expecting perfect historical accuracy. The subtitles were cheesy, but I enjoyed it none the less.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
at least they used Russian rifles...
That is true! I just finished watching Company of Heroes on Netflix and they were using Enfield's with M1 Garand clip discharging sounds, a G43 "sniper" that was bolt action and I even saw some of the German troops carrying Yugo M48's. >_>

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I liked some of it. It is a sort of soap made out of the Pavlov's House story. I enjoyed the fire scene, with soldiers charging tjough on fore. That really happened, according to Zaitsev, but nobody got charred to death -they just got their Navy uniforms burned requiring replacement, but really were set on fire by burning oil tanks exploding.
I liked the shovel fighting - a very Russian method of CQB. The concealed knife attack was very realistic -the Germans actually had to issue special warnings in writing to all troops warning of such attacks by the "black knife" as many officers fell for such tricks from "surrendering" Russkies. I saw the actual posted warning some years back, saying that Russians carry concealed "black knives" for surprise attacks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's too cool! Glad to know it had some historical reference behind it!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,091 Posts
I believe someone else mentioned this movie and I finally just got around to watching it and I just saw a scene where a sniper is using a PU sniper but the rifle is a Dragoon rifle. My question is, did they ever retrofit Dragoon's to become a PU sniper during the war?
Also I noticed some of the 91/30's, the globe front sights are really far up on the barrel as well. Sorry, I'm just nitpicking the movie now. :laugh:

Anythinks possible in Hollywoodsky!

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,480 Posts
Naw - "Red Tails" would earn that from me. Didn't bother to see "Monuments Men", but sure the leftist cast would have made me get up and walk out (they did a private showing of it for Obama).
Oh man! I rented "Monuments Men" yesterday. Not seen it yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.