Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stainless Steel or Chromed Browning A-5 Shotgun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did Browning ever produced commercially a Stainless Steel or Chromed Browning A-5 Shotgun. A fellow came in into saying he had one, I have never heard of one before, have you ?

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
I don't think so. Some of the Japanese copies did come chromed. Apparently, per another recent thread, you want to avoid those.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The Browning A5 was produced with blued steel,and alloy receivers.Never seen or heard of a stainless or chromed receiver version.The Browning A5 was produced in Belgium,and later production was shifted to Japan (Miroku made them there),if anything the Japanese made Brownings were a bit nicer than the Belgian guns regards quality,although they were both high quality guns,and built like tanks.Various 'copies' of the A5 were also produced by other companies in Japan,some were actually quite good also,not necessarily something you would avoid by any means.But given the modest price I sometimes see genuine Brownings sell for,in tidy used condition,I would say they are the ones to go for.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
According to my only reference book, there was ONE production of 5,000 "Browning Auto-5 Classic" which was not "chrome" or "stainless" but, was "grey finish", which probably did look like Stainless. More like "In The White", heavilly engraved, hunting and wildlife scenes, portrait of J.M.Browning himself, Part of the engraving was "Browning Classic. One Of Five Thousand". Mfr. was entirely 1984.
All the others were blued finish, wether the reciever was steel or alloy thru the entire 99 years of production.

Gun Digest Book of modern gun values, 10th edition.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
"French Gray" is an old finish. I believe it was originally just a fine matte surface, not a coating but today its usually a matte nickel plate. Probably it was a basic A-5 with the blue stripped chemically, leaving a "pickled" finish surface, then rubbed to a fine matte finish, a good base for engraving. here's a link to a discussion of french gray techniques: http://www.igraver.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-84.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.