Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an extremely long liking of the 52. It was the first handgun I ever bought. I sold it when I moved overseas and I obsessed on finding a good one when I moved back. I finally picked up a nice example a few years back and was satisfied... until I found this one.

I picked up this 1953 VOP96 last week. I was curious about the metallurgy of the slide seeing as how many places said they were chrome plated or just polished. Some lamented that the finish had been striped of some of thecshown examples.

So I had the slide of this one with a device that uses a radioactive method to detect the elements in a metal object. The result was 55.93% Iron, 27.25% Chromium, 14.32% Nickel, and 2.5% Copper.

If I am not mistaken those levels of Chromium and Nickel with Iron makes stainless steel...... thoughts?

The import marks are clear and unaltered by any form of polishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don’t have anything to add except that I’m very intrigued too. Given how clean the finish looks, I’m inclined to think someone just (very skillfully) polished off the original blued or phosphate finish and left it “in the white” to resemble stainless. However, it does look sharp. I think the technology didn’t exist to make firearms of stainless steel until the 1970s.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
These are chrome plated. Classic Arms sold these about 15 years ago. If you were using a laser to test the metallurgy, it will pick up not only the thin layer of chrome (and nickel) plating, but also the steel (iron) base metal. That's why your percentages look a little strange..... It was picking up more of the chrome plate than the steel.
They do look neat though.
TOM

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check it with a magnet. Most stainless steels are weakly (to non) magnetic. If a magnet sticks like on a regular piece of steel I will go for chrome plated like Tombstone suggested. And check the different parts to see if some are more magnetic than others. I doubt they made Every pat out of stainless. Especially the grip clip.

But even if it is not stainless it is VERY cool and a great find!

·
Silver Bullet member
55,181 Posts
I don’t have anything to add except that I’m very intrigued too. Given how clean the finish looks, I’m inclined to think someone just (very skillfully) polished off the original blued or phosphate finish and left it “in the white” to resemble stainless. However, it does look sharp. I think the technology didn’t exist to make firearms of stainless steel until the 1970s.
true.. had one.. Randell 45 all stainless> before AMT..

·
Silver Bullet member
55,181 Posts
I looks like the bluing was wiped with rust remover and then plated, that's why the finish is soo clean.
And copper 2.5 shows up in analyst as plating base..nickeled chromium plated <><
for sale what was retail?
top of slide how many pinch marks? Two on take down lug..I see

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.