Gunboards Forums banner

St. Louis alderman encourages residents to get armed

537 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Buckshooter 
#1 ·
But BHO will discourage firearms use. Don't you love the irony?

----------------------------------------------
St. Louis alderman encourages residents to get armed
AP ^ | 12/03/08 | AP

Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

St. Louis alderman encourages residents to get armed AP

ST. LOUIS - A city alderman frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom wrote Tuesday in a department blog that citizens arming themselves will lead to more danger, not less, he said.

He said Troupe could do more good urging residents to cooperate with investigating police officers, lending support for activities for children, and lobbying legislators to increase funding for jobs training and economic development.

"Much of the problem is free and easy access to guns," Rosenfeld said. "This hope that by putting guns in the right hands will have an influence on criminals is a false hope. There's no evidence for that."

In one of the latest violent crimes in St. Louis, a man was shot dead Monday and an unarmed potential suspect in the killing was shot by police. The 45-year-old suspect had put his hand inside his coat and two officers, fearing for their safety, shot him. He was in stable condition.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Money isn't being devoted to man power any more. The police are going broke for another reason!

Seven UNELECTED Federal Communications Commissioners have decreed that every law enforcement agency spend millions of $$$$ on fancy new digital radios by 2013. Never mind if the prototypes currently in use are not working very well, for a few agencies who can afford them. In fact, most of the police departments in San Mateo county California have reverted to using their older analog UHF rigs. And they aren't the only ones to throw in the towel and abandon this failed boondoggle.

These APCO 25 (Project 25 radios) are windfall profits deal for companies like MOTOROLA, G.E., E.F. Johnson and KENWOOD; but not much anybody else. And not the taxpayers either! You're lucky that a new digital TV (will cost you just a fraction) of what these new tinker toys will cost your police department, sheriff's office and the state highway patrol...

#4 ·
From the article:

"Much of the problem is free and easy access to guns," Rosenfeld said. "This hope that by putting guns in the right hands will have an influence on criminals is a false hope. There's no evidence for that."

There is no evidence it will not work. Oherwise, it would have been cited in the article.

As to the stopping of the free and easy access to guns, the speaker needs to remember for effective the Prohibition ban was.

#5 ·
At my house we have approx 15.5 firearms/person and we have never had a homicide, assualt, B&E or any other crime take place there. My wife does however make a banana nut bread that almost criminal (awful) but I eat it anyway. Remember she also has 15.5 firearms.

Let just call the Chief in the article an underachiver.

#7 ·
As far as proof goes....Why is it that there has never been a shooting on a college campus that allows students and visitors to carry??? Because there is a possibility of the criminal getting shot. Same goes for cities. If criminals are aware that everyone is potentially armed, they would think twice about doing anything. This arguement about proof is just silly. Why can't we all just use some common sense. Raise your hand if you would think twice about approaching someone if you thought they were armed. There is the proof.

BTW... Where do I need to go to get the free guns he speaks off??? Sounds like a great deal.

#8 ·
pcanhot's post reminded me of a letter to the editor in the Bangor Daily News today:
Train teachers as police

The BDN’s “Safe at School” editorial on Nov. 13 expounds upon relevant points and inspires the onus to be placed upon all public schools in Maine for the implementation of protective measures to guard against any scenarios with deadly consequences as a possible result.
While recognizing that various protocols (i.e. cameras, posted staff, etc.) may improve reactions to emergencies, the greater solution lies with the expansive protective umbrella available to all schools willing to participate in its implementation.
I have consistently proposed that every school select one or two educators to be enrolled in the 100-hour police reserve training course and become trained as a reserve police officer. The resulting certifications would enable these individuals to carry concealed firearms with them and have instantly verifiable identification to dis-play (i.e. neck pendants) in the event of police entering the building while answering a crisis call.
Only the school principal, superintendent, and the head of the school board would know the identification of these individuals.
Training costs would be borne by individual school districts, with the anticipation of at least a five-year service by the individuals involved. Failure to complete a five-year service would obligate reimbursement by those leaving prematurely.
Implementing this program would provide a “built-in,” immediately accessible, professionally trained, and student-geared cadre, which would be available to address critical situations while additional support units are being summoned.
While no series of vulnerabilities or horrors can be guarded against in an absolute manner, this proposal would offer schools a viable option to prepare for situations in the most unthinkable of scenarios.
Ken Fogelman

Makes more sense than "Gun-Free Zones", doesn't it?

#9 ·
What are the crime rates in Switzerland and Israel where all citizens are required to be armed? There is also a midwest town that requires all citizens be armed. Thugs won't be so brave when they found out their intended "Victim" has the opportunity to shred them with a weapon of their own. It's only common sense. I like to read the armed citizen section of the NRA magazines. Once the citizens take back America all will be well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.