Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Snagged this on Gunbroker yesterday. Figured I could use one for the collection but didn't think I would find one for a decent price. Surprised nobody else bid on it. Even if it is a Russian Capture I don't care, still nice in my eyes.

I am by no means an expert on K98k's but I did some pretty good research on the SSZZA4 marked rifles and this seems to have the qualifications. No serial number prefix, correct BNZ 43 code, correct left side of the barrel and none of the "waffenampt" markings (forget if thats the correct nomenclature). Nice discreet under the barrel import marking too. Glad I finally got one and its gonna be a long wait till it gets here.

Heres the auction,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=427197265

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Nice snag.

Surprised nobody else bid on it.
With such a generic title and minimal description, I'm not surprised. Most people don't have time to scour every K98 auction that comes up, or pore over every photo that's posted, so they tend to just search certain keywords on Gunbroker. As a result, most folks clearly glossed right over generic auctions like this. But you were paying close attention, and were rewarded for your vigilance.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,748 Posts
I have to agree, the price is inline or less than these usually sell for, and it's not all pinged up and destroyed. What are your plans for it? Are you going to try to clean it up and restore it a bit or leave it alone? It's actually pretty close already.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree, the price is inline or less than these usually sell for, and it's not all pinged up and destroyed. What are your plans for it? Are you going to try to clean it up and restore it a bit or leave it alone? It's actually pretty close already.
Thanks, guys. I plan on pretty much just keeping it as it is, besides cleaning the cosmoline and grease off of it. I'm going to leave the shellack on the stock despite how much I don't like it. I have another spare RC stock I can strip and put on it if I want to shoot it or handle it a lot.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
They do clean up well. This is mine. Mine also came with a rune marked trigger guard EP'd to match by he Russians.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
They do clean up well. This is mine. Mine also came with a rune marked trigger guard EP'd to match by he Russians.
That's one of the nicest RC's I've ever seen!

I fully understand one not wanting to clean up (remove the shellac) on one of these but if the OP did and took good pictures with a good write up I feel he would be able to easily double his money on GB. Just Say'n.

I personally can't stand the Shellac on any of my Guns but that's my choice, well done 8X57m.

HDH.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice looking rifle 8x57mauser. The main reason I don't really want to take the shellack off is because I don't trust my abilities to make it look as nice as the one pictured above, i'm a bit of a RC purist also but I can completely understand why somebody would want to take the shellack off. I may decide to do it at a later date but for now i'll just leave it as is.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The stock that is one mine right now is a Norwegian 98k stock not the original Russian stock. As far as shellac removal on Russian stocks I just use denatured alcohol and nothing more.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rifle just arrived. Pleased to say that it survived the trip up north from Alabama since it wasn't shipped very securely. Nothing damaged but it looked like the end of the barrel poked through the box a little bit.

Condition is excellent, the bore looks spotless except some cosmoline at the end of the barrel. The shellack on the stock actually isn't that bad, its not horrible looking and not flaking off anywhere like other rifles.

Anybody know what the "W" in a circle marking on the barrel stands for?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts