Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this is already well known, excuse my enthusiasm.

View attachment 512952

My rifle has been extractorless and out of commission for about two years---the original Sako-type extractor flung itself into the weeds during my last firing session.
Late last year I heard about a conversion offered by SSK Industries that involved installing an M16 extractor, so I contacted them and got this thing done.
Here it is---

View attachment 512953

It's pinned through the bolt body and spring loaded, as it should be---

View attachment 512954

I tried it out, running a few rounds through the action----feeding and extraction were 100%. I will fire the rifle some Sunday, if weather permits and post results of the acid-test here.
I like the execution of the work---the new extractor looks like it grew there and I am sure the thing isn't going to wander off by itself like the last one did.
-----krinko

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,774 Posts
Is that your original trigger? It looks original. What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a weather window today and used it to hit the range.
The SSK Industries extractor modification worked flawlessly. I fired RWS, Wolf MC 70 and Russian Factory 3 surplus---and got a sticky primary extaction about four rounds in (RWS). The extractor didn't flinch and I did not need the brass clearing rod.

I can recommend the conversion without reservation. The email address is: [email protected]

Here are targets:

First, RWS, which does not group well in either of my scoped 5.45 rifles---

View attachment 515122

Next Wolf MC 70, which I twitched a bit. Aiming point was the tip of the chin---

View attachment 515123

Last, the Russian Factory 3, which groups well in all three of my 5.45s---

View attachment 515138

-----krinko

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Since the rifle is really more a collectors piece I think I'd rather just duplicate the original instead of having it converted. . . most guys don't shoot their SSG82 rifles but I have seen a few that were really decked out in silliness so I guess the few that are left unmodified may be worth more in the future.

Just my opinion. Hope your rifle works well for you and be very careful with sideloading the trigger. They're a bit weak due to the screw and slot cut in them for adjusting the location back and forth along with tilt. I've made a few steel triggers for guys that slipped up. I guess thats a non original part now too so I'm guilty as well.

Frank

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last Hun's Head has a 1.5MOA five shot group and performance might get better when I am warmer and have more time.
The Internet Meme about this rifle being a "...two MOA rifle or worse with crappy surplus ammo..." is way off the mark. A German website I found called such uninformed blather to be equivalent to "verbal diarrhea" and I must agree.

I am so happy to have this one running again.

Here's the firing line, looking back from the target frames---

View attachment 515150

Any questions?
-----krinko

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I think I'd rather just duplicate the original instead..."

The one that went flying was one of those---and if one is not going to shoot the thing it is perfectly acceptable to stay with the original. Of course, if it's necessary to duplicate an original, it means some one has fired the rifle after all, doesn't it?
-----krinko

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for this info ... I've not had trouble with mine ... but knowing before hand that you can fix something that breaks beats finding out after it's broken that you can't.

I have an odd attitude about my milsurps ... I shoot all of them ... expensive or not. I don't hot load them or throw them around. Now, if I want to shoot 1,000 rounds ... maybe I go get my RPK-74 out instead, but it would be a shame to not shoot something a little. You can't take it with you. (too bad)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a 82 but also don't shoot it much. Have you tried Silver Bear ? the nickel plated steel case stuff. Mine will shoot it for awhile before the cases start getting stiff to extract, more rounds than the poly wolf or laquer cases. Case neck seems to be the main issue as the carbon builds up from shooting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Kinko. I would greatly appreciate some advise from on how to adjust the windage on this thing. I know there are set screws for this. So if I want the shot to impact more to the right etc., How do I manipulate them to accomplish this? Many Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up a SSG-82 last summer and it came with 4 magazines and close to 1k of mixed ammo. The previous owner installed a rail on the bottom of the forearm (like a SSG-69 or other European target rifles) and flush cups on both sides of the buttstock & forend. Mine likes Wolf 60gr HP the best (I've also shot Wolf 60gr FMJ, Barnaul 55gr HP & Hot Shot 68gr HP) and I've got a few sub-MOA 100yd groups but average is 1 MOA or slightly better. The Barnaul 55gr & Hot Shot 68gr shot no better than 2.5 MOA. My rifle shoots best after at least 20 rounds warm up the barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having mine done. How long did the work take? Thanks

View attachment 512952

My rifle has been extractorless and out of commission for about two years---the original Sako-type extractor flung itself into the weeds during my last firing session.
Late last year I heard about a conversion offered by SSK Industries that involved installing an M16 extractor, so I contacted them and got this thing done.
Here it is---

View attachment 512953

It's pinned through the bolt body and spring loaded, as it should be---

View attachment 512954

I tried it out, running a few rounds through the action----feeding and extraction were 100%. I will fire the rifle some Sunday, if weather permits and post results of the acid-test here.
I like the execution of the work---the new extractor looks like it grew there and I am sure the thing isn't going to wander off by itself like the last one did.
-----krinko[/QUOTE]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.