Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a nice Steyr SSG69 rifle and I'm trying to figure out the manufacture date and country code but don't know where to start. I've seen a few posts on these rifles showing codes on the receiver and barrel for a couple different countries but I don't know what VTM is. There is no date on the receiver or barrel though there is a shield type symbol on the barrel similar to the Swiss stock acceptance stamp....no ideas of what the story is here. I know the rifle dates back to at least 1989 since the suppressor built for it was transferred to the previous owner in 89. The rifle has the double trigger, is P II model and has a ZF69 26mm tube scope though the rings appear to have been lost before I got it. Any help with this one is appreciated and here are a few pics.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will,
I knew it was made in Austria but Steyr made rifles for many different countries. The barrels and receivers are stamped with a code to show which contract/country it was made for. The VTM code shows which this is and I'm trying to find out who that is. There were some previous posts from a couple guys over the last few years with codes for India and Germany neither of which is VTM. Thats the specific code I'm trying to find info on.

Frank

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ssg 69

Thanks for the heads up on "accecptance codes".I have never seen or heard about them in this case but would not be too surprised to find some sort of "national proofing" system in place in some countries.Good luck in your search!Will

·
Registered
680 Posts
Have researched yr proof mark & it doesn't look like a country code. Maybe they were only applied to the military model ssg-69's. It could be a police unit marking.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys I found the answer. I spoke with the Steyr guys today when I ordered rings and they told me that for the period when my rifle was made they used a 3 letter date code. VTM is November of 1985. They also used country codes for certain rifles made under contract and they used 2 digit dates at some point too. Answer makes sense and now I have rings on the way for my 26mm Kahles scope too. I also learned that there was some point in the early 90's when the Kahles scopes went from 26mm tubes to 1inch. I guess it was a good thing I measured the tube instead of just ordering..

Thanks for all the help

Frank

·
Registered
680 Posts
they used a 3 letter date code. VTM is November of 1985. They also used country codes for certain rifles made under contract and they used 2 digit dates at some point too.
Thanks for the info Frank.

Can you tell us how to interprete the Steyr date code please? I have 2 codes stamped on my P1's receiver...'BHO' and 'EDO'.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well until 308 Nutt posted that wonderful link I couldn't have told you the answer. I just told the Steyr rep the code on my rifle and he spit out the date. Now we have a good resource that should have been fairly obvious.....

Thanks 308nutt, your help has been quite what we needed.

Frank

·
Registered
680 Posts
It was thanks to you finding out that there was such a date code. I wouldn't have known to look for it otherwise...good team work.

EDO on mine makes it a January 1990 according to the Steyr code.

Think the BHO mark is the country code for British Honduras but would still like to confirm it. In addition to 308 being stamped on the barrel - it also has 7.62x51 stamped beside it.

Was very fortunate to find 7.62x51 marked 5 and 10rnd mags & a new 7.62x51 marked cleaning kit for it. Have upgraded the original Kahles 6x42 ZF84 scope to a Kahles 10x42 ZF95 to give it extra legs.

Now all I need is its green webbing sling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.