Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Here is a picture my single rune RC k98. Some question if it is real.

Don't want to guess GA. Still kind of a novice. Post it on K98k Forum if ya can for more info. Looks promising though. Don't have an SS Contract myself but dad gave me the Borsigwalde about 48 years ago!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
When the flood of k98's came out of the Ukraine in the mid nineties there were def. real marked ones. They were sold at local gun stores for the same price as the others and pretty much no one bothered to look at the marking that carefully. However not long after that tons of fakes came out. The most I ever paid for one was 149.00 at a local sporting goods store. The same chain of stores in a different mall got me a ZF41 AR42 marked one. Many many cool guns came out of the former USSR, though they had been reworked and stored for fifty years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had an SS-Reich marked field flashlight...Plates and other dining items were marked accordingly for the Das Reich division (2nd SS)....I believe it to be legitimate as the scribing was done quite well and had aged nicely with the rest of the piece...Bodes

Weapons were a different story, anything other than factory applied was frowned upon....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Some folks forget the SchutzStaffel existed before Hitler became Chancellor, and even afterward, much of their property acquisition was not done through government channels.

Even after 1938, local party-affiliated "Allegemeine" units often bought on the open/commercial or quasi-governmental market, and a lot of this stuff wound up as war booty. What's in the textbooks is generally accurate, but by no means inclusive. Local Obersturmbannfuhrers often ordered doo-dads, blades, and so on without further reference even to Party headquarters.

However, this convenient set of factoids doesn't explain all the phony baloney aftermarking. This is not new. It was being done back in the fifties.

Reactions: free1954

·
Registered
832 Posts
Some folks forget the SchutzStaffel existed before Hitler became Chancellor, and even afterward, much of their property acquisition was not done through government channels.

Even after 1938, local party-affiliated "Allegemeine" units often bought on the open/commercial or quasi-governmental market, and a lot of this stuff wound up as war booty. What's in the textbooks is generally accurate, but by no means inclusive. Local Obersturmbannfuhrers often ordered doo-dads, blades, and so on without further reference even to Party headquarters.

However, this convenient set of factoids doesn't explain all the phony baloney aftermarking. This is not new. It was being done back in the fifties.
Weapons used by the SS and Luftwaffe were often procured through channels other than that of the Army....This is why you find cases of where the SS took WW1 gun parts and assembled their own....The Luftwaffe relying on foreign weapons such as Austrian g24(o) rifles...Bodes

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There are BNZ rifles that are legit.They are 1943 and have no letter
suffix after the serial number.They are SSZZA4 marked on the receivers.
Those were made for the SS.You might find a few mixed in with RC imports.But very few a importer told me that.They also make phony
stamps.But I have a real stamped one and you can tell.If you know the mark well

Stamp SSZZA4 - Waffenamt shop (waffenamt-shop.com)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts