Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Turner
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1145 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 09:01:54 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a very nice Torre Annunziata made 91 rifle made in 1893. Upon taking it apart I found that it had been spliced under the rear barrel band. While I know " duffle cuts " are fairly common the overlapping nature of the splice and the perfection of the blending of the repair sure pints to an artist. Have any of you other folks encountered stock splices in your 91 rifles? This job is absolutely undetectable from the outside and barely visible upon disassembly. Thanks for any replies, just curious. Joe

DMala
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 10:38:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen very nice stock repairs at the butt and near the receiver cut. The only examples I have seen of repair or cut under the rear barrel band seemed duffle bag cuts. Actually in the opinion of some, this is somewhat a desirable (or at leat not undesirable) feature, since it documents a WWII capture origin.

DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).

airdale

USA
933 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 12:08:41 PM

I have a 1917 Terni long rifle that appears to be a two piece stock. The part from the rear band foreward has been spliced onto the stock. Its overlapped about 2 1/4" and only visible from inside the barrel channel. There are two small dowel pins installed at 45 deg. angles into the splice from the exterior. The wood of the stock and spliced piece is identical in grain and color and looks like this was intentionally done at an arsenal or factory. Its similar to what the Finn's done with their stocks only there are no finger joints, just an overlap. As a woodworker of over 35 yrs. I will say this is very professionly done. The stock also has a strange serial number of ORK1462 (rifle number is different). I have never seen three letters preceeding the serial number on a Carcano before.

DMala

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 12:59:38 PM

Airdale, OR (Officina Roma) is the prefix of Roma-made M91 rifles (WWI era), which precedes the normal alphanumerical serial number. So the actual sequence would be something like ORA0001-9999, ORB0001-9999, etc.

DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).

NebrHogger
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1943 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 1:27:13 PM

Aha! That last explains much! I have an M91 bayonet ORF XXXX and had always wondered of the three letter marking! Thank you!! SW

If you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk!

airdale

USA
933 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 1:59:44 PM

DMala thanks for the serial number info. Do you have any knowledge of the Italians expermenting with a two piece stock? The one I have is definitely two piece and not duffle cut. I suppose this could have been done during rework but whoever performed the work done an outstanding job of matching the grain and color because it looks like it came from the same blank.

DMala

USA
570 Posts
Posted - 12/20/2005 : 3:01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by airdale

DMala thanks for the serial number info. Do you have any knowledge of the Italians expermenting with a two piece stock?

...no....but you never know.....I feel it is unlikely, but of course that does not rule out anything.....

DMala

montello
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
199 Posts
Posted - 12/24/2005 : 3:19:59 PM

The '41 stocks that Sarco sold all had the stock splice, and some imports of about 10 years ago or '91 rifles by Oyster Bay also had these splices.

Atlpete
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
165 Posts
Posted - 12/29/2005 : 12:34:51 AM

I met an Japanese/Italian milsurp grey beard at my local gun show who imparted his cure for the duffle cut for my otherwise beautimous (albeit pinned) post-43 AC M-41 and it sounded somewhat like Mr. Turner's description, however can you tell me if the original repair is a dovetail or a longer channeled dowel. I did a long single square dowel and it works like a charm. His story on the numerous mutilated long rifles was that a lot of GI's got there hands on them and brought them home, but in the end I think mine was a really sporter abortion, the notion that they may have been built or imported that way is interesting.
BTW Montello(hardly a "new member") thanks, interesting that Sarcos'(and Oyster Bay?) replacement stocks were spliced, can you describe the shape of the repair piece?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts