Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend had bought a Springfield M2 and as is the case when friends get good stuff I begged him to sell to me if (when) he wanted to get rid of it. It fits my hands very well and I can't wait to shoot it. Good shape, clean bore and one clip. Any ideas as to where to find extras? In the past few months I seem to have become a 22 trainer collector. Two No 2 Enfields, Winder Musket, a 1903 Hoffer-Thompson, and now this M2. I know, post is useless with out photos, so here they are.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
theres an extra clip offered at Gunbroker.I love those Springfields,precision is amazing,below is the picture of mine with Unertl 20x scope

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,587 Posts
My Dad has an M-2 that an uncle gave him many decades ago. He got it thru the old NRA program that preceded the CMP. It was the first .22 rifle I ever used in Boy Scout marksmanship programs, until finally in 1966 my Dad got me my very own Browning T-Bolt.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow, you are on a roll, aren't you? It's like that in collecting. The hard part is having the funds available when the opportunities arise! Another great addition to your already impressive trainer collection. You're got a ways to go to catch up to Raul (he's got all the neat toys) but you're well on your way!
Cheers,
mawkie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Springfield M2

I have one of the M2's but late production, and it appears to be unused or used very little. I waited for five years to get it and when the guy decided to trade for it he took stuff that I was giving away, so I gave him another $100 I felt guilty.
It's a really great gun and I would like to get a spare mag for it.
It's packed away with my collection of 03 and 03 A3's.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Albayo, as I posted before, magazines are available either at Ebay, gunbroker,Gunsamerica or Auction Arms, cost is a little high, around 80 bucks-Congrats on your new M2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Springfield M2

You have one of the best original .22 Trainers. I have four in my collection I would never part with. 1922 unaltered,1922M1 unaltered,1922M2, and 1922M1 upgraded to 1922M11.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great find...

Springfield Model of 1922 series, the best US trainer ever. Congrats!

Mags are expensive. $50 if you are lucky, $100 if you are desperate...

AND and Hoffer-Thompson!!! You are well on your way for a great US martially marked .22 collection. Most collectors can only dream of a Hoffer-Thompson. Since you are getting the treasures first, go for the Krag .22 trainer... ;)

I collect trainers also and they are still pretty good deals mostly (except the Krag and H-T.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
.22 Training Rifles

The trainers are great, and they weren't chopped like the big bore rifles. I probably have about 12 or 15 trainers in my collection at the moment and am looking to expand.

Where do I get info on German trainers, or military style single shots manufactured in Germany? A guy just called today and he tried to explain to me about a german made single shot.
Now I need to find an experienced collector that can help.
Got any suggestions?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Albayo, there's a book "Mauser Small Bores" , it has a couple of chapters dedicated to the prewar trainers made by the firm,this book is necessary in any collectors library, it also touches tangentially other trainers made by Walther, Gustloff, Mars and other makers I dont remember now and I'm in my summer house now ,away from the book and my guns-I've also collected through the years articles and copies of articles about trainers-There is a simple and easy to get booklet by the USArmy about Military Small Calibers or something like that-At the end of the month I'll be in back in Buenos Aires and will go through the documents and if you're interested I can xerox some and airmail them to you-Below some pics of my trainer collection-
A Krag/Pope barreled 22lr

A G98 redone to 22lr by JG Anschutz after WWI, one of 1000 made for the Reichswehr

KKMpi 69 National Volks Armee (East Germany)

Some of my DSM 34's

Best,Raul

·
Registered
448 Posts
Small-Bore Mausers

The book is by John Speed. It is an essential for Mauser .22s, trainers and SB target rifles. Good info to prevent being taken on a faux-Nazi trainer..., i.e., a post-war or civilian gun with bogus WaffanAmts to extract a premium from the unknowing buyer. Lots of charlatans out there with the WWII German stuff...

Great collection. A friend has the Springfield Krag .22 trainer. My last US trainer was a Springfield M1922M1I Civilian Sales Model with armory installed Unertl blocks. I had been after that one for about 8 years.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"AND and Hoffer-Thompson!!! You are well on your way for a great US martially marked .22 collection. Most collectors can only dream of a Hoffer-Thompson. Since you are getting the treasures first, go for the Krag .22 trainer... ;)"

Would that I could find a Krag. Anyone got one to sell? Funny how this thread has taken on a new life. I say the post and said to myself "someone got them a M2". It was me!! Of course the post was a few months old and had been raised from the dead, but that is fine. Love those full size trainers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The .22 Krag is tough. I have only seen three for sale in last two years here at all the major gunshows in Ohio. And they were priced at $4000.00 & $4200.00. I am glad I found mine when I did. The Hoffer-Thompson is also tough but they show up on Auctionarms & Gunbroker at times. And they are priced all over the wall. One guy started at $10,000 and went down to $6000 never did sell it. A nice one sold on Auctionarms about a month ago for $3000.00.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid observation to post,not a case of sour grapes here because I have one, but speaking of Hoffer Thomsons, if your intention is to shoot with them you'll soon be dissapointed, not only they are 22 short but the nuisance of loading the ctdge carrier, after firing opening the bolt with care, placing your hand on the action to prevent those US$ 100 each carriers to fly away and get lost in the grass and extracting the spent ctdge from the carrier with a metal rod is booooring-I mention this because I'm sure many of you love the 03
and would like to have one in 22, if that is the case you can find satisfaction by spending a lot less money getting the scarce 22 lr Numrich Conversion, made for the 03 06 in the early fifties,the thing fits and works perfectly, unfortunately as I remarked it is scarce, but the Hoffer is also rare and it'll cost you at least six or seven times more than the Numrich conversion-Below pics of the cartridge carriers of the Hoffer and of the Numrich conversion

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good call...

The Numrich conversions are getting pricy, but definitely are cheaper than a H-T. Try for the ones with the box and all parts and instructions. Interestingly, most I have seen for sale were the complete kit. They are cheap compared with the Erma K98k conversions and the Swiss Lienhard K31 conversion kits.

BTW, great set of inserts for the H-T. Most are pretty corroded from the corrosive primered .22 shorts, which if I remember were the last of the .22 rounds to go NC and smokeless. That is why many 1885 Winder muskets have bad bores.

If you find a Numrich, make sure it has a magazine, they are hard to get also.

The last Krag trainer I saw was in the $4K range. I recently saw THE Krag .22 trainer carbine in the Brophy book. It has a 28" barrel. I have seen a H-T for $1300, but something was not kosher about the stock (I believed it was a later modified '03 as it has two bolts, so I passed. They do wary widely.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
An anecdote about the magazine for the Numrich conversion,I had the conversion for many years and always kept in my mind the necessity of having a second magazine, not that I looked desperately for one, but always rememebered it-Five years ago at a gun show in Palm Beach FL,there was a guy selling magazines, the table was full of mags shown without any order-My eyes caught a mag that looked like the Numrich one and I bought it, well I was lucky, it fitted perfectly and the baseplate says Marlin, cant tell you of which Marlin, but the data is useful, because getting the Numrich conversion is difficult, but asking for an extra mag is a question of luck-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts