Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here watching "The World Wars" docudrama on the History Channel. I am very amused by the total lack of firearms knowledge. I gave up on expecting any history from the "History Channel" a long time ago, (other than UFO and bigfoot history, of course) but when the Germans and Americans are shown using SMLE's, and the British are using 03 Springfields (one an obvious nickel parade rifle) in combat scenes...WOW. Then there was young MacArthur wearing USMC rifle and pistol expert badges, but that's another issue entirely.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,630 Posts
Sitting here watching "The World Wars" docudrama on the History Channel. I am very amused by the total lack of firearms knowledge. I gave up on expecting any history from the "History Channel" a long time ago, (other than UFO and bigfoot history, of course) but when the Germans and Americans are shown using SMLE's, and the British are using 03 Springfields (one an obvious nickel parade rifle) in combat scenes...WOW. Then there was young MacArthur wearing USMC rifle and pistol expert badges, but that's another issue entirely.

Apparently they were also used by the U.S.to battle Poncho Villa according to "The World Wars".

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
thought it was hilarious that WWI Hitler was using an Israeli made gas mask, while the WWI British troops were using 1980s made Russian gas masks. what a horrible creation from beginning to end.

·
Copper Bullet member
251 Posts
And ..... everybody aged 30 years during the 1920's !! I have a BA in History. Why do I subject myself to these things.

·
8,105 Posts
Don't forget the US "soldiers" reenacting the 1941 fighting in the Philippines wearing M1 helmets, all troops there and then were issued the M1917 helmet, the M1 hadn't been issued at the beginning of the Second World War, especially not to troops in outlying regions like the Philippines, Wake Island, etc. They were not even on issue in Hawaii on December 7, 1941. The M1917 served into 1942, especially with the Navy and that included the Marines.

And, US troops fighting in Europe wearing British P37 web gear, including the enameled water bottle, but they did have the M1 helmet..

Both mistakes were painfully obvious.

·
8,105 Posts
John, I was unaware that the SMLE was used by the German police post - WW2 but the Austrians certainly did. I had always thought that the Germans had used the M1 Carbine, interesting to have your information.

The Germans certainly used captured SMLEs during WW1 as shown by the photo below of an Imperial German cavalryman:
View attachment 782672

·
Administrator
9,623 Posts
German second line use of Captured SMLEs from France and Belgium (pre 1940) and North Africa(1941) must have been widespread, as various Regional Ammo depots repacked Captured .303 Ball ammo (Loose and clipped) with German Labels...Examples (Now Rare) were seen back in then 1960s by collectors going through Importer's Warehouses in the US. (Interarms etc) Photos of such packets appeared in either Guns or Guns & Ammo, if I recall.

The subsidiary units ( Construction Battalions, Luftwaffe depot troops, Anti-Aircraft units, the Reichsbahn (Operating Dept. and Right of Way Dept) all used a mish-mash of captured or otherwise sequestered weaponry...even the Hospital train members were issued with Dutch M95s ( shortened and "carbinised"). Issue of rifles depended on ammo supply, so the Germans did a lot of Repacking of captured stocks, and also new Manufacture for specific calibres ( 8mm Lebel, 6,5 Dutch, 8mm Mannlicher (8x50R), etc.
That was the major reason for the "Kennblatt" book of "Beute-Waffen"...to give every unit an idea of what they might be getting if they were a Non-combat unit...and also for the Combat units to ID captured rifles etc.

Doc AV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts