Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is the first time I'd seen one of these for sale anywhere. The seller listed it as a 1903, which it clearly was not. He also listed the accompanying bayonet as an 1890, which it clearly was not - 'twas a 1903 with a beat up scabbard. The range was shown as between $350 and $550. Clearly no one but me recognized what it was (wishfully), me and 86 other watchers.

The Mauser still had an operating cut-off switch, straight stock and its original caliber. The only modifications I could see where the addition of two recoil bolts, one in the usual place and one in the wrist. The handguard was also cut just at the back of the rear sight. (Hence my earlier question about a Spanish 1893 handguard fitting an Ottoman 1893 - again wishful thinking...) The metal looked to be in decent shape with some light pitting with all original Ottoman markings, but mis-matched.

Well, I put in my hopeful $850 bid, but lost to a $1,200 win + 25% + postage. Was still probably a good price for one of these. Well, up in smoke went my most recent dream gun (poof)!

I'm sure many of you guys were members of the 86. Is the winner here?

·
Registered
To the man who got me into collecting. You will always be remembered.. RIP DAD DECEMBER 7 2021.
941 Posts
That was a good buy IMO! BAYONET alone was worth 350.00. I have had wonderful luck finding them. I currently have 3 model 93 Ottomans, with one being the rare Belgian given war aid gun given to them by Great britian or France during WW1. here then it was reissued to Belgian soldiers on the western Front against the Germans. Ironically CJ556 found one last year which is about 3000 reworked Belgian serial numbers from mine. Either way keep looking your bound to find one!

Thanks Gage.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I’m also hunting for a 7.65 Ottoman. I lucked into a M1890 bayonet and scabbard awhile ago. Just need to find the smoke pole to attach it too! I know they are out there. I hadn’t seen this one, but I’m not in a hurry. So I’ll keep looking….

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey 148, Boilerop has three! He could give each of us one and keep the best for himself. Win/win all around!!

Anyone know under what circumstances those two recoil bolts might have been added??

I've seen the good 1890 and 1903 bayonets on eBay from time to time, but they seem to be listing for $400+. Not sure what they're selling for. There are typically few if any bids on bayos that high.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does anyone remember seeing any of these in the late '90's - the golden years?
No, as far as I can remember, they were never imported with the large batch of reworked Turks that were dirt cheap in the 90's. The few that I have seen must have been WWI era bring backs. I think they turn up in more in Australia/NZ than in the USA.

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Quite correct. I have 2 1887, 2 1890, 1 1893, 1 1903 Rifle, 1 1908 Engineers short Rifle, All AIF bringbacks from Gallipoli or Palestine ( 1908 actually engraved with Battle details, Aug.1915, Lone Pine.)
There are still plenty around Australia and New Zealand.
Doc AV

·
Registered
728 Posts
That is honestly an incredible deal. I have not seen an original non bubba Ottoman Mauser of any type sell for less than $1500 on its own in the last 2 years. To get one WITH a 1903 bayonet at that price was a great snag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts