1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
Ronin48
Posted - 07/21/2004 : 1:18:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 'sporter' 70/87/15. Stock reworked and barrel shortened. No front sight. Have had it for 15-20 years. Did any firm attempt to sell these as sporters or was this a basement job?

NebrHogger
Posted - 07/21/2004 : 7:35:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a TS version of the 1870/87/15 - see also:

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/tsvital.html

The Swiss Vetts were sporterized and sold by places like Sears and American companies made ammo for them, but I haven't seen anything in the old catalogs about Italian Vetterlis. If yours doesn't resemble the pic, it could well be a bubba special. SW

Carcano
Posted - 08/10/2004 : 1:53:54 PM
Formally sporterized Italian M 1870/87s (in 10,35x47 R) do exist, and Beretta also offered them in their catalogues. One is also pictured in Walter's Rifles of the World. I own such a nice gun in prime untouched condition. But the 6,5mm versions were never sporterized.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is another exemplary thread for one "formally" sporterized Vetterli-Vitali M 1870/87 rifle:

kotkinjs1
Posted - 07/27/2007 : 6:55:26 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking at a V-V in original 10.4 mm 1870's production year at a local gun shop. Its all in real nice condition- finish, stock w/ cartouche, nice bore, good, solid action.....but it's been shortened to 24". The working of the handguard wood looks very good and fairly professional. I'm sure its not one of the arsenal-modified ones from Turin (ref: www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armisrc.htm) because there's no nosecap and no bayo lug. Sorry I don't have any pictures but even, dare I say, 'sporterized,' it still looks nice. I think it was a 'Terni' manufacture.
Would $292 out the door be too high?
Thanks!
- Jeremy

airdale
Posted - 07/27/2007 : 7:41:20 PM
Are you sure it's not a V V carbine instead of a shortened rifle? If it's a carbine then it is definitely worth the price. Go to http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano and click on the picture of the carcano's for some photos of the V V carbines.

Sorry Jeremy I see you edited you post while I was typing mine.

JPS
Posted - 07/27/2007 : 10:26:47 PM
Hello kotkinjs1,

I have the exact same version you have just described in my collection. It's almost a Musketoon length rather than the shorter carbines of the day. The stock has been reworked very nicely and it has the Vitali box magazines conversion holding four 10.4x47mmR cartridges.

I'll shoot a photo or two of this shortened rifle this weekend and post them to this thread. Interesting?

kotkinjs1
Posted - 07/27/2007 : 11:15:36 PM
JPS,
Excellent! I would definitely like to see yours....um...so to speak. The comparison would be interesting. Like I said, the quality of the work done to the lower handguard is very high - I wish I had my camera on me then to take a photo of it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I saw a Bubbized version at the recent Timonium, Md. show where the fellow simply chopped off the forestock. Wanted $225 for it:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts