Gunboards Forums banner

Sporterized Remington Model 1903

941 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  themauserkid 
#1 ·
I have a sporterized Remington Model 1903 that I would like help identifying the builder. etc.
As I said the rifle receiver was manufactured by Remington, Ser# 3195XXX, which I think would put a manufacture date in '44 or '45. Anyway, the barrel has been replaced from the original, the stock is a complete replacement, and the metal parts are all blued not parkerized. The main thing I am wanting to learn is what builder may have done this work, supposedly back in about 1945 in Germany. The replacement barrel has no markings other than a "Z" surrounded by two circles and this is located on top near the front of the receiver. The bolt is bent down and to the rear with scroll work from top to bottom and has a "Z" inside a single circle on the flat at the top of the bolt. The walnut stock has the same "Z" with two circles stamped just behind the pistol grip.
I appreciate any response.

#2 ·
some were marked by the builder under the wood line,
if you take it out of the stock (carefully) check the bottom of the receiver or barrel, as well as the wood,
including under the butt plate,

thing is, you may never know

#8 ·
Hi "Steve..." is it? :) Your original question of "builder ID", I can't help but wiser heads with opportunity to 'ping' off the beneficial pix - thanks much - without comment as likely not noting significant clues. I'm no European markings expert whatsoever. I do note the "Z" within circle which I've seen as reflecting Brno Factory, Czech made arms. Possibly as components of such rifle maker, recycled as adapted for your rifle. From my perspective, the 'net', a typical quite decent example of a European sporting style interpretation from an 03 Springfield. All which you've surmised!
Appears quite decent & useful rifle! Perhaps yet some ID to follow!
Good luck and Best!
John

#9 ·
Hi "Steve..." is it? :) Your original question of "builder ID", I can't help but wiser heads with opportunity to 'ping' off the beneficial pix - thanks much - without comment as likely not noting significant clues. I'm no European markings expert whatsoever. I do note the "Z" within circle which I've seen as reflecting Brno Factory, Czech made arms. Possibly as components of such rifle maker, recycled as adapted for your rifle. From my perspective, the 'net', a typical quite decent example of a European sporting style interpretation from an 03 Springfield. All which you've surmised!
Appears quite decent & useful rifle! Perhaps yet some ID to follow!
Good luck and Best!
John
I appreciate your response. The rifle actually belongs to one of my brother-in-laws and I was trying to gather information about it...if possible. The work was done quite well and still looks very nice being it is +/- 77 yrs old.

#10 ·
The maker is H&H Zehner of Frankfurt, this is actually the most simplistic rifle from them I have ever seen, they are usually highly engraved and carved, but it is certainly still a well made rifle.

#11 ·
The scope mounting is wrong. I will guess the old scope and mount were replaced? I used the info posted above and got quite a few Google hits. The OP should be off to a good start. I dont know one way or the other as far as confirming the id. Rings true, for what little my opinion matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.