Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ethiopian Mausers are extremely rare and I have not seen one come up for auction or sale in a couple of years. This Ethiopian with a sporterized stock came up on auction and I was lucky enough to win it. I dropped the receiver in a FN 1930 stock with no fitting or adjustments. The bolt is mismatched, but I believe an original Ethiopian bolt. The sporterized stock is original and you can see a faint Ethiopian cartouche on the right side. Thi has filled a though hole in my collection.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Rare bird (or rare lion) in any shape. Well done!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Jeez, I didn't even know they made those. Awesome find. You going to splice the original stock together with a new frontpiece?

Also if Albacore weren't abroad he'd be wailing and gnashing his teeth, he's the only other guy I know who collects Ethiopian, and all he's got is a sword and a few bits and pieces of militaria.

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Jeez, I didn't even know they made those. Awesome find. You going to splice the original stock together with a new frontpiece?

Also if Albacore weren't abroad he'd be wailing and gnashing his teeth, he's the only other guy I know who collects Ethiopian, and all he's got is a sword and a few bits and pieces of militaria.
John Wall's got, I think more than one short rifle, the Mauser and the FN, and I have the carbine version of this one, matching at that.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
John Wall's got, I think more than one short rifle, the Mauser and the FN, and I have the carbine version of this one, matching at that.
Hi John,
I'm afraid that it's worse than that. I have 5 Ethiopian short rifles, all different, but only one of the 3 varieties of the FN-made carbine, one of those taken into Belgian Government service.
Regards,
John

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
Hi John,
I'm afraid that it's worse than that. I have 5 Ethiopian short rifles, all different, but only one of the 3 varieties of the FN-made carbine, one of those taken into Belgian Government service.
Regards,
John
What do you have in that attic that causes rare Mausers to breed like that?;)

·
Gold Bullet member
2,133 Posts
Mon, Ras Tafari be hoppy to see his gun fix like dat! Make me mor' iree den a bucket of spliffs!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
+1

BTW John, How do you ID the carbine as taken into Belgian service?
Hi John,
Two markings: the Belgian Goverment proof mark "EGB" (not the Liege proof mark) on the receiver ring, and the large roundel on the buttstpock that says "Mle 1924/30" and the royal cypher "L" for King Leopold. I've seen 3 of these and none showed evidence of being sent to Africa.
Regards,
John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.