Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
roddy1993
Posted - 01/21/2005 : 09:50:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to mount a scope on my old M91/38 Carcano. The only scope mount I have is a Weaver type N. The type N can be mounted on the side only and it will only accept a tiny little 1 inch scope. I want a better scope mount, but don't know where to find one! Can anyone help me on this?? ( by the way, their is a Carcano on www.gunbroker.com for sale right now that has the type N mount and a tiny little 1" .22 scope installed. )-if you want to see what the type N looks like. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rod C.

03man
Posted - 01/23/2005 : 08:53:24 AM
RC,
a 1" scope is not tiny, I think you mean a 3/4", which is the size of most .22 scopes. You may be able to find an old 3/4" high power scope which would stand up to the recoil. As for mounts, the scope almost has to go in a side mount to clear the top for clip charging, unless you want a single shot. Might be better all in all to just pick up a reasonably priced hunting rifle with scope already mounted.
03man

roddy1993
Posted - 01/27/2005 : 4:16:59 PM
03man,
Thank you much for the info. By the way this particular Carcano started it's life as an M38 or a 91/38. Then some dude removed the 6.5 barrel and then installed a Chinese SKS barrel! This rifle is now in 7.62x39 and it's a single-shot with a custom made in place follower and a spring loaded cartridge guide. The darn only cost me $70.00. I guess I'll just have to have better iron sights installed. ( it has the original sights on it and they suck! ) Thanks again
Rod C.

03man
Posted - 01/27/2005 : 8:06:02 PM
Have you shot it? I would be really suprised if it shoots close to the point of aim. May be hard to get iron sights to zero. A scope may be your only option. I read in one of these posts(I think) that a No. 1 weaver side mount will fit the Carcano. Good luck.

roddy1993
Posted - 01/31/2005 : 4:30:46 PM
03man,

Thank you for the aditional info! I will look into a Weaver no. 1 side mount. I am also still going to have adjustable iron sights installed. At the moment I have the custom parts out and the mag assembly installed. I want to make this thing a 6 round stripper clip repeater. The problem is I need to build and install a ramp extension, cartidge guide spring, or something down in the mag well! ( 7.62x39mm is a bit shorter than 6.5 Carcano ) By the way if you know of someone who had this problem and found a sollution, please let me know.
Thanks
RC

Rod C.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts