Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check it out guys.

Oh, and sorry for the horrible pics...I don't have the rifle on hand but could get more in the future.

This is one of those guns that has been sitting in the safe for years without attention. It was actually given to us by a family friend years ago. This 1889 Belgian Carbine has not been given the good treatment by one of its owners over the past 100+ years. The receiver has been drilled/tapped, with one of the holes all wallered about. The stock has been cut down into a sporter stock and any of the front stock hardware is missing. I don't even really know how to describe the safety...filed and boogered down to a shadow of its former self, flopping about with no pressure. I've never shot the rifle, or even looked for ammo for that matter. The bore actually looks pretty decent. It would definitely need to be checked by a gunsmith to see if it would be safe to shoot.

What are your opinions on this rifle? I know that finding parts to return it to its original config are pretty much impossible to find, not to mention the screw holes. I mean I hate to say it, but have been considering breaking it down for parts. I could also try to find a new safety, and just keep it as an interesting shooter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 91 Argentine safety would interchange right?

Anyways, I just wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on this rifle. What would you do?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If I had the opportunity to buy it, I would, fix the screw holes, replace or fix the parts with issues and either keep an eye out for the correct stock, or find a Argentine with no markings, or make a new stock. Worth it financially, probably not. But that is what I like to do.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the best way to go about fixing those screw holes? Peen and blend screws, have them welded, or just leave screws in it. First two options would probably require refinishing, and the rifle has a beautiful brown patina on it that I would hate to lose. Finding the stock and hardware is definitely going to be the most difficult part. I guess if worse comes to worse you could joint a new piece of wood onto the end of the sporter stock and try to rebuild a military spec stock from there. The rifle is old...I would think that it needs to be checked by a pro before firing, but are there general concerns about these rifles? I would imagine that most collectors don't fire theirs, but all of my mil-surps are shooters. If its not a shooter, i'll probably sell or trade it for something that is.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did finally pick up a box of ammo for this rifle and took it to the range. Unfortunately it seems like there's a fair amount of muzzle erosion, and the rifle produces a ginormous "group" even at 25 yards. Perhaps a barrel slug and cast bullets would produce better results, but my attachment to this rifle has diminished significantly haha! Looks like the best option might be to part it out, or maybe sell it as a project rifle. The bolt does not match like I previously thought, and it has some rough marks on the back side which makes me wonder if it is a turned down rifle bolt. I'll try to grab some better pics this evening for a better overview on the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.