Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Mario from Ebay about finding a proper stock for my BCD 4 Sporter. He found one for me and I now have a 1944 BCD stock with the proper f recoil lug and C on the hand gaurd and bottom of the buttstock. The depth of his inventory is pretty amazing! It looks like this stock recieved little or no sanding but it is still very blond. This gun has quickly become my favorite in my collection.

·
Gold Bullet member
300 Posts
I wouldn't go too wild trying to restore this to Gustloff configuration. It's actually a J.P. Sauer rifle assembled with a bcd 4 receiver. Lots of bcd 4 marked receivers were sent to Sauer in 1944 and used right along side CE 44 marked receivers. Not at all rare or uncommon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info

How do you tell the rifle is a JP Sauer rifle?
I actually had to do very little work on the rifle. It has all matching metal. Everything was there including the sling. The stock was butchered beyond fixing so I bought the new stock from Mario and put a 12 inch cleaning rod from an RC on it. Total investment has been $360.00.
Thanks
Fred

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
How do you tell the rifle is a JP Sauer rifle?
Cursive serial number suffix. I can't see the final inspection Waffenamt on the top of the receiver well enough to identify it in your photo but have no doubt that it is an eagle/37 (Sauer) instead of the usual eagle/749 (Gustloff).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stamps are really faint on reciever

The stamp on top of the reciever looks like it was struck with a broken stamp. It is only has an eagle with the swazi mark. the number is not present. There is a faint waffen on the RH side but it has a first number of 7. The rest of the waffens on the are all Eagle 1 except the rear sight base. It has a eagle 18 with a lower case a next to it. There also lower case i stamps on alot of the sight parts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep JP Sauer assembled

I pulled it back apart and looked at the barrell. It has lower case script ce and 37 proof mark on it. It is cool that you guys can pick up these details so easily.

·
Gold Bullet member
300 Posts
The last few serial blocks of JPS 98k production in 1944 are loaded with subcontracted parts manufactured by the many Saxony area small shops that primarily supplied Gustloff Werke Weimar. For some reason JPS received an influx of these parts that are usually associated with Gustloff rifles right before they terminated rifle production. Other than the previously mentioned small details, and a few others, they very much resemble a Gustloff assembled rifle. They're a neat twist on the typical 44 production JPS rifle. I had a rifle in the v block 800 numbers off yours that was also assembled with a bcd 4 marked receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts