Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of 40 rds of Russian ammo today at a gun show. The carton is plain white cardboard, with "sportivnyi revol'vernyi patron" in Cyrillic on the cover; the obverse is a stamped rectangle with "partiya (lot) No. A08; "data" V (yes, a Roman "V") 85 g(odu). The head stamp is 36 on top; 85 on the bottom. The only other markings are two round bullseyes on the long sides of the box. The bullet is seated 0.4" below the case mouth, which just has a slight taper and no crimp. Is this some sort of a short-range or gallery load? Corrosive primer? Sorry I can't post a pic; my browser and the forum software have an incompatibility when it comes to managing graphics.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Sounds like B-1 ammunition. Bullet face will be flat - they were loaded with wad cutters. These rounds were intended for use in the MTs-4s and the TOZ-36. THe stamp is factory 36 (Tula Cartridge factory) and the year of manufacture 1985.
The 'V' will be the month of manufacture (May).
These were loaded to about 2/3 of the standard service round velocity or around 200 m/sec and this was the accuracy round for target shooting.
Joe

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe: thanks! The bullet looks like a wad cutter. There are actually 37 rounds in the box. I am guessing the previous owner fired a few in a Nagant and found the results underwhelming.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I love this round! I have a TOZ-36 and several of the MTs-4 model tasrget Nagants and this is what I shoot in them. Yes, it's underwhelming, but it's like shooting 38 special wadcutters in a S&W Model 19 target model - it's all about hitting the target, not killing it!
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.