Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,868 Posts
For some time my oldest son has wanted a "gas gun", last week I opened my email to find an ad from CFS for a 26.5mm Czech RV85 they are selling for $299 and I knew this was the one for my son. After a quick call to his base (USAF) to confirm his want I called Jayne and Pam (800-915-3346) to order 2 (can't let him have all the fun by himself). Shipping was very quick and the guns were here very quick, I ordered them late Thursday, and they were here Tuesday.

The guns came packaged in a nice oversized box with a generous amount of packing paper. Inside I found 2 sealed boxes containing 2 new guns, and when I say new I mean new, they are still sealed in the factory wrap as they had never been opened, I guess no need to open up a nongun for import stamps... They came neatly wrapped with all the books, the test target and accessories shown in the pictures. Interestingly you get a large (34x48 inch) serialized target showing 3 shots signed and stamped by 3 inspectors with a curious center shot of a bird overlaying a rabbit, in any regard my gun seemed to shoot a 6 inch pattern. In addition inside the box you get a Czech language manual, a log book (mine is full of writing, signatures, etc... all dated 1988), a full cleaning kit (2 brushes, pull through and sectioned rod), tool kit, sling, case, spare spring kit and other assorted parts.

The rifle itself is new as expected, the wood is nice straight grain with a slight hint of birds-eye figuring across the top of the comb, also present are sling swivels front and rear along with a nice rubber buttpad. The pistol grip is stylized in the VZ-58 manner and works well. The barrel and fore end are quickly put together by mating them at the hinge and pushing in the oversized captured push pin located on the underside of the barrel, it can be as easily broken down into two parts without tools in reverse manner. The barrel itself is of course 26.5mm and 19.5 inches long, one good thing about a 26.5 mm bore is you can just drop the tape measure down the bore and measure directly, no need for marking a cleaning rod with this monster :) Once put together shouldering the piece quickly shows you the sights which are actually very nice for such a gun, you get a hooded front and a flip rear sight with 3 shooting points thanks to a ladder on one leg, only the lowest setting is marked (50). The gun itself feels very solid and well put together, all the main parts are serialized to each other and there are various proofs/stamps located on the receiver.

The rifle seems to hold all the 26.5 mm flares I have on hand and I hope to fire it once I get back to KY. Considering my past experience on how the flares light when fired I like to shoot them over the 5000 acre lake in the back yard of my cabin there VS the urban environment of my house in Ohio. Expect a full shooting update report around the 4th of July when I celebrate in style this year :)

Again thanks to Jayne for picking me a couple of winners with these, now for my son to get some leave so he can come home and open his up as well.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,619 Posts
OOOH, I think I want one of those too! I know a mad scientist who converted a Polish flare pistol into a .32 single shot...used about 2 pounds of JB Weld. Are the flares readily available?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOOH, I think I want one of those too! I know a mad scientist who converted a Polish flare pistol into a .32 single shot...used about 2 pounds of JB Weld. Are the flares readily available?
That was a 38 special thank you very much, everyone knows 32acp would be silly out of a flare gun.... :) The flares are available on line and at the MGS (or most shows in KY) for about $3.50-$4 each, which for 10 can be the most fun $35 can buy.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
There is a heavy duty gas grenade this carbine will launch 700yards and a 'explosiv' grenade (flash bang!) as well... We will never see those imported to the USA. But the regular flares are still fun!! I shot my RV 85 today with parachute, smoke, Red cluster, and single Green star flares today. Works like a champ. You can put those smoke flares right where you want them at 200yards or so. Parachute and star flares go a bit higher in the sky from the carbine vs. the flare pistol.

There is Black Powder in those flares for sure....so a HOT water clean up is a must. My Carbine shows a few pits on one side of the breach ring from corrosive blow back @ testing. Covered by Bluing so maybe they proof these in the "white"?

These are a great "curio" and my collection is pretty darn eclectic...so this fits!

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Note: Do not..... DO NOT use the steel "tornado" type brush in the RV 85 tool kit to clean your bore! You don't need it and it will scratch your shinny bore from chamber to muzzle.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are the bores chrome lined in these?

I'm assuming you used the tornado brush and it scratched the bore.......I wonder why they would make that part of the cleaning kit if it scratches the metal like that.....

If the 12 ga. adaptor fits these there were 12 ga. "bird bombs" made up until recently until I think the ATF got butt-hurt about them and called them destructive.....sigh.......

I bought a Cobray 37mm flare launcher to mount under one of my M16A1 uppers just to shoot the 37mm "bombs" and then found out if found they are very expensive and are no longer made.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Are the bores chrome lined in these?

I'm assuming you used the tornado brush and it scratched the bore.......I wonder why they would make that part of the cleaning kit if it scratches the metal like that.....
Yes the bores are Chrome and yes the issue brush put bore to chamber light scratches in that chrome finish. Just cosmetic really and understand, it does not ruin the function or "accuracy" of this smooth bore launcher in the least. I guess it was some one's idea that these brushes are needed to get the black powder junk out of the bore. Hot soappy water would have been more than enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.