Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

Thought about posting this in the bayonet forum but it seems very slow and not very helpful at times.

I have a number of spike bayonets and would like to have a collection of them because there are many manufactories to collect, easy to pick up anywhere and most importantly for me cheap. What more could you ask for!!!!

I would like to have one of each from the different manufactories, looking at various books these are the ones I have come up with.

Singer
Howard and Bullough
Prince Smith and Stells
Baird engineering
J.Lucas
Lewisham engineering
Long Branch
Savage.

Are there any I have missed? I'm aware they are usually in codes that link them to the manufacturers.

I'm a bit confused about the manufacturers, I know some made just parts. Who made whole bayonets and who parts?

What are the more rare manufacturers, I'm aware the mark 1 by singer is the rarest but what about for the mark 2 and 2*.

I have heard about certain Irish manufactories are there any?

Also some bayonets are very well marked with dates etc but then I have seen bayonets with almost no markings, why?

If anyone has a big collection and can be bothered taking pics it would be great.

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Singer
Howard and Bullough
Prince Smith and Stells
Baird engineering
J.Lucas
Lewisham engineering
Long Branch
Savage.

1.Singer MkII, the most common found---
2.Howard & Bullough MkII*, incomplete mark---
3.J.Lucas MkIII, showing leperous tin plating---
4.Lewisham Engineering MkII*, a hard one to find---
5.Prince Smith and Stells MkII*, the "K" for "Keighley", their location(?)---
Savage and Longbranch coming up, I don't have a Baird Engineering and they are listed as assemblers, so maybe they didn't mark theirs.
-----krinko

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1.Savage MkII, large boxed "S"---
2.Savage MkII, small "S"---
3.Longbranch MkII, "LB" monogram---
4.Longbranch MkII, "CA" Canadian Arsenal monogram---
That's it for me.
-----krinko
PS. Photos done in a hurry, hence the focus fading toward the edge of the frame.

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
If you are really serious about collecting spikes get the book "The Spirit of the Pike" by Graham Priest. Brian Dick has copies if you can't locate one otherwise: http://www.bdlltd.com/
Ian Skennerton also wrote a pamphlet("The British Spike Bayonet") on spikes that is an excellent introduction on the varieties.
Baird Engineering bayonets are marked as BEC.
WARNING: you can get very involved in collecting spikes, beside the different makers, there are sub-contractors, marking variations(Savage alone used 5 different markings), different scabbards, scabbard markings, etc., etc.....
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

Krinko you helped a lot. I have a small pocket book by Skennerton on British bayonets that i take to gun shows etc, it really helps because it lists the codes etc.

Is it just me or are all the finishes on most of the number 3 bayonets worn off, I can't seem to find one in decent condition.

There’s a guy here in Perth that specializes in British bayonets and he has a few boxes of spikes. I will have to go through them and have a look. I was thinking for less than the price of a rifle you could have almost a complete collection and for the price of two a bloody big one.

Keep the info and pics coming guys.

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Krinko,
What would be correct for a 1950's Long Branch number 4*.

3.Longbranch MkII, "LB" monogram---
4.Longbranch MkII, "CA" Canadian Arsenal monogram---

What I really mean is which one is the later production. Where the Savage and Long Branch spikes issued with the rifles or was it random?

I have a spike just like no.4 with the small "CA"

I'm off today to look at some junk stores in my local area for spike bayonets. Not hoping for much but you never know. I have heard stories that they used to be sold in bunches of ten as tent pegs, but I think now most people get on the net and realize they can flog them for a bit more. I have entitled my bayonet search as "the never ending story".

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to say, Thanks HUSK!!!!

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
LB is a wartime mark(1941-1945). CA is the mark for Canadian Arsenals, which is Long Branch post war. The Canadians used whatever they had, so the correct bayonet would be either mark as well as whatever would fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Singer

In the spike bayos i have come across i have noticed two codes for singer. SM over the two digit date and N67. I have only seen two of the SM variety from 1942 and one from 1943. The majority i see are the N67 style.

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
since you like Churchill quotes;

"Come then, let us to the task, to the battle and the toil.
Each to our part, Each to our station, Fill the armies, rule the air, pour out the munitions, Strangle the U-boats, sweep the mines, plough the land, build the ships, guard the streets, succor the wounded, uplift the downcast, and honour the brave.

Let us go forward together in all parts of the empire, in all parts of this Island, There is not a week, nor a day, not an hour to be lost.

Murtha/Pelosi"we can't win this war"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts