Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a chopped 1899 Oberndorf 96/38. I would like to find a 96/38 stock that was converted by the Swedes from a stock with the "early style" buttplate angle so that I can use my "early style" matching number buttplate from the 1899 rifle. For information on how to differentiate between the "early" and "later" style buttplates, go to the "Links of Interest" sticky above, go to the Dutchman's house of Karlina link , then to the "Buttplate Configuration Variation" topic. You can't just rely on the date on the rifle since it may have been fitted with a current stock when converted to M96/38configuration. If you happen to have among your spares a 96/38 stock with the "earlyl style" buttplate angle that you would be willing to part with, please PM me. Thanks.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,329 Posts
That is going to be a tough one to find . Most are attached to matching rifles . Not to many setting around loose . I have not tried this , but as a last resort you may be able to bend the tang down so it will fit the new style buttplate angle . If not , you can bend it back . You will have more stock choices that way .

It would be nice to have a "Mauser" stock that has been shortened , but a shortened Carl Gustaf stock made of French walnut with a serial number under about 12x,xxx will be your best bet . We know the buttplate angle changed around 1903 , but at what specific serial number is unknown . I have seen stocks on CG 1903 rifles & carbines with both style buttplate angles .

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,568 Posts
Extra 96/38 stock

I have a CG 1899, #9478. French walnut with some figure, early buttplate. Condition good, with bumps and scrapes.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts