Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and I've recently joined a bunch of forums in my effort to reach out to anyone who is interested in what I am interested in: special-purpose gadgety pistol ammo. The weird stuff with odd tips; exploders, multiball, darts, cutters, slicer, dicers, expanders, plastics & teflon. I have an extensive history in collecting & researching and a large collection. I'm with the International Ammunition Association (IAA), and I have written a book on the topic of pistol-caliber armor piercing ammo which is my main point of collecting. Below are pics of the stuff I collect; a reference sheet I made for pistol-caliber AP ammo, a box of mixed caliber specialty ammo, and a box of 9mm specialty ammo. Please ask questions or let me know if you are interested in collecting this stuff as well.

KTW Teflon, American Ballistics, National Cartridge, Alia armor piercing, Omnishock, Geco Metal piercing, Remingotn Hi-way master, Peters Highway patrol, SIB armor piercing, Arcane 9mm, VBR ammo, SCMITR, GEA Cyclone, 7.62x25 API, ALPHA 9mm, CBAP 9mm, ANSB, Libra Snail, M39/B, 6.5x25 CBJ, PPS MSC, 224 VOB, 223 timbs, Magsafe, Beehive, armscor strike 3, equalloy, hydrashok, village metalworks safe stop, multiball, kawser pingrabber, kawser pin grabber, velet exploder, velex exploder, FXlabs, D&D omega star, Thunderzap, BBM hardcap, cobra gun HSA, Hirtenberger EMB, DAG Action-3, simunition, Aguila IQ, Triton quick shok, Hi Vel Hypersonic, Mesko Hornet, Mesko Mosquito, Mesko Wasp, XM261, KTW 22 pokey, etc...

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
9,737 Posts
Hey Matt,
Welcome to Gunboards. Real nice presentation. I recognize those 7.62x25 Tokarev rounds!!!

·
Administrator
7,922 Posts
Great stuff Shotptrdj! What an amazing collection. We aren't as cosmopolitan on ammo as IAA is but we sure appreciate expert collectors. I hope you can continue to check in and provide input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Jon C! Yeah the API load and subsonic load is from you! I've found that doing postings like this always generates some good responses and finds individuals who have some similar stuff of interest that they didn't realize they had, or else didn't know what it was.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,737 Posts
Nice spread of Israeli 9mms. You're missing the yellow and green tips!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Awesome collection. I casually collect ammo, mostly 7.62x54r. I will say the 7N25, 7N29 and 7N30 really caught my eye. Impressive amount of .357's that stuff has skyrocketed in price over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
me26245 - You say battle packs of M/39B, like the type pictured here:

As in the box says "M/39B RAM" or do you mean the typical M39 ammo which is just lead core with copper-clad steel jacket ball ammo. I see plenty of the original M39 ball ammo around. If you have battle packs of M/39B then you have something almost unheard of. Great find though.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,737 Posts
Matt, thank you! I think you might have sparked a few new cartridge collectors!!!

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
me26245 - You say battle packs of M/39B, like the type pictured here:

As in the box says "M/39B RAM" or do you mean the typical M39 ammo which is just lead core with copper-clad steel jacket ball ammo. I see plenty of the original M39 ball ammo around. If you have battle packs of M/39B then you have something almost unheard of. Great find though.
Does the M39 just have a "normal" thickness on the Jacket? I understood from another site that is was thicker than most to "enhance penetration"... Perhaps that author was mixing the "ledgend" together of the two types?

Did M39B replace M39 in production or supplement it?

Thanks and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the M39 just have a "normal" thickness on the Jacket? I understood from another site that is was thicker than most to "enhance penetration"... Perhaps that author was mixing the "ledgend" together of the two types?
Did M39B replace M39 in production or supplement it?
Thanks and welcome to the board!
The M/39B initially supplemented the M39 since the Swedes had years and years of surplus M39 floating around. Eventually it sort of supplanted it, but the Swedes also began using typical NATO ball 9mm ammo for practice & training just like everybody else. Somebody told me that the M/39B was not being produced as of around 2005 or 2007, and that existing stocks would suffice? This site here details some about Swedish 9mm ammo: http://www.amkat.se/9x19/9x19.html Nammo also produces a clone of the M/39B called the BNT-HP7, but they don't produce allot, and might not anymore? Not sure. The older M39 does have a copper-clad steel jacket, but it is a typical thin steel jacket of the era like many producers of ammo used to use, and it is not AP at all, and has a full lead core. The M/39B is the one with the very thick inner steel jacket at the tip, like what you see in the above section photo. That additional thickness at the inner tip makes it very tough, enough so that it penetrates Kevlar, vehicle bodies, etc... Incidentally, I actually have a box of M/39B for sale since I picked up a few boxes last year. It is here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187695432 I'm selling a bit of collector pistol ammo to raise funds for my upcoming trip to the Woodin Lab in Arizona which basically has the worlds best collection of small-caliber ammunition. Should be a blast!

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
So the M39 has black sealant and the M39B has RED.

I had 5 864rd cases of this ammo just a few years ago... shot up all but a few loose rounds in the bottom of a .30cal ammo can.

Collector ammo, huh?

DAMM!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ammolab - If you shot up that much M/39B you might also want to check the condition & current accuracy of the barrel in the gun(s) that you fired all the rds through. M/39B is known to cause as much as 25% higher rate of barrel wear on most guns.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Ammolab - If you shot up that much M/39B you might also want to check the condition & current accuracy of the barrel in the gun(s) that you fired all the rds through. M/39B is known to cause as much as 25% higher rate of barrel wear on most guns.
Yes, I saw that on a Swedish Ammo page before I started shooting it... Ammo was shot through ten or so different 9mm guns. Some were none to "accurate" to begin with.
I got the Swede Surplus cheap....so I saved enough by NOT shooting the same amount of Golden Sabre 147gr Hollowpoints to buy a new barrel or a whole new GUN!

I can tell you...that Swede M39B and some Danish 9mm Surplus (M41) that I bought at the same time will REALLY SHOOT from my Colt 9mm Ar15. I get 4" groups @ 140yards (Chinese "colt AR copy" 4 power scope) with both those rounds. 25% more bore wear is no big deal. Will I ever shoot that barrel out? If you can deal with the rainbow trajectory of that round in a carbine....you can hit at quite a distance!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.