Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering since the bolt heads are "Sized" as 0, 1, 2, & 3. If one was to have a spare head with the extractor in place in case the one in the rifle broke, would a simple remove the bolt, unscrew the head and put in the new one work as long as both bolt heads are the same "size" number? :confused:

Dimitri

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Short answer is 'yes', it's fine and some shooters do this. But....

It would work providing the matching numbered bolthead is near the same size and it fits your bolt without excessive overtravel.
The boltheads actual size has a variance within a given marked number range. If you reload and neck size only, a bolthead on the opposite end of the spectrum may cause some problems with the brass, thus possibly causing chambering issues the next time around.

The most ecconomical fix is to buy a couple spare springs and keep a rubber band in your shooting kit. A piece of rubber shoved into a broken spring usually works well enough to finish the day.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Dimitri

The numbers on new bolt heads do mean something as the numbers place the bolt head into a approximate length “category”, the number on a used bolt head means very little because the bolt head is “worn” and “shorter” than when it was new.

On the last new bolt head I installed after firing 50 rounds the bolt head “seated” and “broke in” to the bolt body and ended up .002 (two thousandths) shorter than when first installed.

My point being start with a longer bolt head by approximately .003 (three thousandths) longer than the target headspace setting you are looking for, you can always lap the face of the bolt head to get the finial target or desired headspace setting.

My 1950 FAZ Mk.2 has two different size bolt heads fitted, the oridginal No.1 is approximately .066 and the No.2 is approximately .062 for shooting wimpy American made cases and reloading them.(Two thousandths tighter or smaller than the .064 normal minimum setting)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My rifle (The Envoy) came with a #0 Bolt head so I doubt I'll be able to get any bolt head bigger then that. :cool:

Unless I am making a mistake and the higher number the tighter the head spacing? :confused:

Dimitri

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
The bolt head isn't going to break, only possibly the spring. Buy a spare spring or two. A heck of a lot cheaper, and I doubt if you will even need more than one. plus you are not going to be in combat where a broken spring could be hazardoue to your health.
The only brittle springs I have encountered were on the Indian .308's and installing a spring from a .303 did the job as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

I was thinking of having the bolt head with the spring, extractor and screw installed. As I'd hate being out hunting or similar and having to do a "field" repair and losing my spares into the grass and snow. :eek:

Dimitri

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Oh by the way Ed, I picked up one of those central rim gages from a friend in OZ:D Do you have one as well? I should think you do. Only tried it out so far, since I still have enough loaded stuff.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
0 is the smallest size.

If you're out hunting and the spring breaks, you wouldn't notice it until you needed a rapid follow-up shot. You wouldn't have enough time to swap the bolthead.
I'd be willing to bet that if that ever happened you would've probably forgotten about putting a chunk of ice cold steel with a hook on it in your pocket anyway.
If you did remember and dropped one or the other into tall grass, mud, or snow, etc. you'd be out a heck of a lot more money than a rubber band would cost.

Spring breakage won't ruin the day unless you're shooting a timed event in competition, or trying to halt a swarm of charging fuzzie-wuzzies. ;)

Seriously though, it's your money so if having a spare makes you feel better go ahead and get one. It can't hurt. Just be sure the bolthead you get fits your rifle as well as the one that's in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright JB You make valid points. :)

Actually to be honest I was first thinking about a complete bolt, then figured with the variance in the bolt itself, perhaps even with the same number bolt head it wont head space correctly hence why I was just asking about the head itself.

My M1A also has a spare part kit of sorts, but since there is not one specific removable part of the bolt, and buying another one is out of the question I just got the individual pieces to go into the bolt. :)

Dimitri

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ordered a Firing Pin, Firing Pin Spring, and a Extractor Spring from E-Gun (and Parker Hale Pull through and a oil bottle). And I ordered a 7.62mm Extractor from Collectors Source (And a brand new Enfield Cleaning Kit Tin).

I should be good to go as the rest of the small parts how I see it shouldn't fail or will be reused when I put in the new parts. :D

Dimitri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts