Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this board a few days ago while looking for some information for my Llama .380 Model IIIA, but in the meantime I purchased a top break. This is (more or less) a copy of a Smith & Wesson and it is in very good condition. It's chambered in .38 S&W.

My problem is that after searching for the last couple of days, I still can't find any information as to who made it. Does anyone recognize the trademark on the buttstock?

At the moment the gun is still with my FFL (California 10 day wait), so these pictures are all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the "Eibar" pistols have similar Logos, but I was unable to find an exact match. Hopefully, you will find something stamped on top of the
barrel when you pick it up.
I thought the term Eibar was just a generic term referring to Spanish made guns. As far as I know Eibar is a small city in northern Spain, whose principal industry has been (and is) the manufacture of firearms. Kinda like Brescia in Italy.

There's nothing on top of the barrel. Based on what I saw during my brief inspection , the only markings are the single word SPAIN on the left of the frame, the serial number and the trade mark on the grip frame and a couple of proof marks (right side of barrel and front face of the cylinder). That leaves the hidden parts, so I'll probably look under the grips when I get it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been asked to ID a revolver which looks nearly identical to the OP's. Any help with markings would be welcome. I haven't been able to find any of the proof marks in my references, though the shield with the "X" in it looks like an Eibar proof from post-1931. The piece belongs to an older gentleman whose father fought in WWI and may be a bringback.

Attachments

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Not a WWI bring back - it is a Model 1925 revolver! The proofs (Rampant Lion, shield with "X" and "PN" peg it as mid 1920s, and the 1925 date adjacent to the proofs pretty well confirms it. The "cal. 38" is a US importers mark as to caliber, not a Spanish designation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not a WWI bring back - it is a Model 1925 revolver! The proofs (Rampant Lion, shield with "X" and "PN" peg it as mid 1920s, and the 1925 date adjacent to the proofs pretty well confirms it. The "cal. 38" is a US importers mark as to caliber, not a Spanish designation.
Ok, what maker? Who had a Model 1925? I had initially thought that the "1925" was a date, but it could have been a SN.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Simiilar revolvers were made in Spain for a British contract in WW1.

These revolvers were manufactured by Garate, Anitua y Cia (Ref. Pistols of the world by Hogg and Weeks p119) and Orbea Hermanos Y Cia, in Eibar (Ref. Pistols of the world by Hogg and Weeks p175) and Trocaola, Aranzabal y acia, Eibar, Spain. (Ref. Pistols of the world by Hogg and Weeks p243)

It may help to start the search here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts