Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this one at Knob-Creek. I couldn't get photos of the markings, but from what I recall, they indicated that the rifle had been manufactured in Spain. Anyone know anything about them?

-Bean

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
Back in the late 40's General Peron, Argentina's president ordered the military factory DGFM (manufacturer of the Colt Sistema),to manufacture some WWII guns, htey copied the MP44 in 7.92x33, the Johnson in 7.65 Arg Mauser and the Garand in 7.65 Arg. Mauser-The pieces are considered collectibles, because they never got to the status of production and stayed on prototype stage, though a few hundred of the MP44's were made and the ctdge military factory "Borghi" manufactured the 7.92 ammo for the MP, I'm not a ctdge collector, but i've heard that the Borghi 7.92 goes for a hundred bucks each piece-
In forty yrs as a collector the only one of the three abovementioned rifles I've seen is the Garand and it looks perfect, the guy who had it, some ten yrs ago, was asking 10 grand for the piece-

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Bean, are you sure it is a real M1 rifle and not a replica "non-gun"? In your second photo, there appears to be a screw head visable on the op rod... and the trigger housing looks a bit off. My gut tells me it is a replica non-gun.

Edit: After a cursory search to satisfy my curiosity, both the M1 and SMLE are non-gun replicas made by Denix.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's definitely a screw-head there. Apparently, the op-rod on this one is a two-piece unit. Also, the trigger-housing bottom appears to be 100% machined from billet (not forged & machined)

This was NOT a Denix "resin replica". I operated the op-rod, which retracted the bolt. It was 100% wood and steel, but I could tell it was an "aftermarket" copy of some sort, kind of like a late Universal M1-Carbine.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...

After further Googling of "Denix", it seems that in addition to "resin replicas", they also made a metal & wood Garand, with the metal being cast zinc (pot-metal). Also, Denix is apparently located in Spain.

Mystery solved!

Thanks Deputy Dan!

-Bean

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
No worries, Bean.

I guess we can count ourselves fortunate to be able to own the real thing for a reasonable amount of money and not compelled by nonsensical laws to only enjoy firearms that are deactivated or non firing replicas. Not a flame or judgement, just an observation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts