Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M1916 Spanish Mauser. The problem is that the safety cannot be set. The only way that it can be applied is to pull the bolt sleeve out a bit farther. Would the problem be the firing pin spring, or the firing pin? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Try swapping out the safety and/or cocking-piece. Also, the trigger-sear could be worn, if it is, it won't push the cocking-piece back as far. If it only lacks a few thousandths of engaging, you can use a dremel tool to re-shape the lead-in ramp on the safety, and/or grind a chamfer on the mating portion of the top of the cocking-piece.

The firing-pin and/or firing-pin spring are not the problem.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought a M96 Swedish Mauser a few years back that the safty would not work on. Same basic design as the Spanish 1916 rifle.

Anyhow, a quick tear down of the bolt revealed that it was not assembled right. Nothing wrong with my rifle, just needed the bolt/safty sleeve screwed on one more thread.

I've seen other Mausers with stiff or impossible saftys that needed minor fitting of the safty lever itself to enable it to work against the striker.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
As Z71 said - make sure the bolt is assembled correctly first before taking the dremel tool to it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts