Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another Mauser. I have been looking for one of these carbines for a while. I actually wanted a German made example but this was too good a deal to pass up.

Oviedo made an estimated 90,000 M1895 carbines 1897-1927. This one was made in 1899. It was never modified to have a gas relief hole or thumb cutout in the receiver. The barrel is 17 5/8 inches and it does not have a 1/2 inch barrel extension as was added by the importer to some M1894 Swedish carbines. The action is the M1893 type but the Spanish model designation is M1895.

The barrel, receiver, trigger guard, floor plate, and rear sight serial numbers are matching A2344. The stock, handguard, and bolt show no numbers. The bolt sleeve and safety are numbered 695.

It has no import marks. It does not take a bayonet or cleaning rod. The carbine was purchased from an online auction and I had the correct Spanish sling.

Please post any comments on this thread and not on the similar thread in the reference sticky Mausers, Only Mausers.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hi Bill,
Got mine out. Oviedo 1898 SN 6372 on receiver,barrel,floor plate and trigger housing. Rear sight SNs 7405 and 5855. Bolt is a mix master.Bolt is 8498 sleeve is 117 safety is 897. Firing pin has
two circle stamps, L on one side ans P on the other. F/P retainer ? circle L , safety and cocking piece both circle C. Bolt is in the white,no gas escape hole in the receiver, no import marks.
The receiver is circle E in front of the SN.My front side ears differs from yours, it has no screw in the front it's just pinned in side to side. Stock matches SN on receiver. Saddle ring still there. I put a repo sling on it. The bore is not so good. I got a replacement barrel a while back, it was worse than the original, sent it back.

·
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are the rear sling bar and the lanyard ring both standard equipment on this style of stock?

This design borrows much from the Argentine 1891 Cavalry Carbine.
Unlike the Loewe made M1895 carbines (marked Modelo 1893), the Oviedo made M1895 carbines had side sling fittings. Both had the saddle ring.

On the Argentine M1891/31 engineer carbine, they moved the saddle ring fitting from the bottom to the side of the stock where it became the rear sling loop.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bill,
Got mine out. Oviedo 1898 SN 6372 on receiver,barrel,floor plate and trigger housing. Rear sight SNs 7405 and 5855. Bolt is a mix master.Bolt is 8498 sleeve is 117 safety is 897. Firing pin has
two circle stamps, L on one side ans P on the other. F/P retainer ? circle L , safety and cocking piece both circle C. Bolt is in the white,no gas escape hole in the receiver, no import marks.
The receiver is circle E in front of the SN.My front side ears differs from yours, it has no screw in the front it's just pinned in side to side. Stock matches SN on receiver. Saddle ring still there. I put a repo sling on it. The bore is not so good. I got a replacement barrel a while back, it was worse than the original, sent it back.
Hi Ed,

My nose cap/sight protector/front band has been around. It is secured with a long screw that goes to the rear of the front band spring. But -- it has a hole in both sides for a pin. But -- the stock has no hole for a pin. Presumably it was once on a carbine that took a pin instead of a screw.

My carbine was sold on auction with no bolt (which is the main reason I got it cheap). Before I bid on it, I posted here looking for a bolt. I was lucky to find one (cheap) from a Gunboards member. With bolt on the way I bought the carbine. Later I found that the cocking piece had been bubbaed inside the bolt sleeve where it could not be seen and the safety did not work right. I ordered another one from Numrich Gun Parts for the lofty price of $11 including $4.95 shipping. I would not have bought the carbine without being able to find a bolt first.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, you don't find these carbines everyday, nice find.
Thanks, I see them on the auctions from time to time but they usually go for more than I want to spend. Liberty Tree has one right now, mismatched with a worn/unreadable Oviedo crest that they want $595 for plus $30 shipping. I think that is a bit much for the condition and I suspect they will be keeping it until they drop the price. Nice ones, of course, go for a lot.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a really nice one.

Regards,
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,792 Posts
I have a 1901 that came without a saddle ring, so I had a welder who owed a favor make one for it to the original dimensions, and looks correct. One thing I've noticed on these is they often have very clean stocks, so they had to be restocked at some point. The barrel is also good, accurate shooter too.

·
15,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, mine was used for 40 years to the end of the Spanish Civil War and I expect it continued to be used after that. It's no wonder that they wore out stocks.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.