Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a K98 with a serial number (I-nnn). On reviewing Ball's book it narrows it down to either of the above rifles. There are no marks on the receiver except the serial and "CAL 7.92" followed by a couple of proof marks. The front sight looks like the Mod 43 but it doesn't have the extended beyonet lug. There are no marks on the receiver ring and it doesn't look like it has been scrubbed. The serial is also on the base plate. The seller said that the serial was on the barrel (I have not verified this but he is scrupulously honest). Does anyone know how I can determine which one it is?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Spain made up some Mod 43 short rifles with no markings or crest on the receivers. There are several different theories as to why these were made. Commercial sale is one, for the middle east , even heard they were sold through PX's in Europe. They are usually found in new condition. Have a bent bolt that's blued. No bayonet adapter and not drilled to take one. Other than these small differences they are a straight up Mod 43. If you look hard some of the stock proofs are Spanish Flange Party. Other than that . just cal and serial number. I have one of these ( started a thread on Gunboards about these ) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to Yellowstone

I appreciate your information. This one has a straight bolt, no stock proofs (that I can see) and has seen quite a bit of use from the rifling wear. I ran a few rounds through it this AM and was rather surprised how well it didi. My old eyes keep me from expecting too much.Since you know more about K98s I'd like to ask another question. In this section (Kar 98) I have seen a large number of rather nasty comments aout Mitchell Mausers. I have never looked at any of them too closely since they didn't interest me but they seemed to shoot fairly well and were pretty so what can I tell people who ask me about them other than my personal feelings which is I prefer the history in a well used rifle that still works than a pretty one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.