Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another upgrade, replacing one of the same model that I already sold on Gunbroker. I picked this one up in February.

This rifle was made in 1918 by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM). The “B.-------S.” receiver marking is thought to indicate a rebuild by Berlin-Spandau depot, possibly when the 1934 dated (S/42K) tangent rear sight was installed. That rear sight modification changed it from a Gewehr 98 to the collector label Gewehr 98M.

The MP8 stock marking identifies it as a Spanish rebuild. Unfortunately the serial number was changed to 3684 and remarked on the receiver, barrel and bolt. The stock, trigger guard and some other parts have the serial number 5860 which may be the original rifle serial number. It is unfortunate that it is rebuilt and the serial number changed but it is next to impossible to find a foreign made Spanish Civil War rifle that has not been rebuilt. The bore rates good. It has no import marks.

It came with the cleaning rod and a K98k type sling. The rifle was purchased in an online auction and I had the Weimar period (blued) J. A. Henckels/Anker-Werke Bielefeld Sg98/05 bayonet/scabbard with original frog.

This rifle replaces my previous G98M (Mausers, Only Mausers, page 7, post #297) which had some force matched serial numbers & import marks and was not a Spanish Civil War veteran.

Please post any comments to this thread and not to the similar reference post in the sticky "Mausers, Only Mausers".

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your're right. A lot of the Spanish rebuilds apparently saw no service after rebuilding.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a flaming bomb MP8 made by Waffenwerke Oberspree Kornbusch & Co. 1916. S/42G rear sight. I bought it 30 years ago I think for $150. Overall appearance is nice with a fair bore. Mine too came with a cleaning rod & sling.

·
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,
Neat rifle and a great find! Wish I had one!
Regards,
John
Thanks, John, I'm happy with it but I would be totally happy if it had the original serial numbers.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a flaming bomb MP8 made by Waffenwerke Oberspree Kornbusch & Co. 1916. S/42G rear sight. I bought it 30 years ago I think for $150. Overall appearance is nice with a fair bore. Mine too came with a cleaning rod & sling.
What kind of sling came on yours? Mine is a very unusual K98k type sling with no crosshatching and no markings. I don't know if it came from Spain or was added later.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
248 Posts
My sling does show the "Crosshatch" pattern though mostly faded. I can't seem to find any markings.

·
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My sling does show the "Crosshatch" pattern though mostly faded. I can't seem to find any markings.
But does it have the K98k type roller buckle?

Regards,
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts