Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
It is corrosive..I think there were a few core designs but if I remember correctly there is some lead in there.

Chamber pressure is the same as 7.62NATO. It is a low RECOIL design, not a low pressure design.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
With that labeling it's difficult to ID which version of 7.62 CETME you have, as Ammolab said, they played around with a number of composite core designs. As I understand it, the CETME versions were loaded to lower levels than standard 7.62 Nato, due to the early Spanish use of M1916 "small ring" Mausers converted to 7.62x51.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
Hmmm......

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
As I understand it, the CETME versions were loaded to lower levels than standard 7.62 Nato, due to the early Spanish use of M1916 "small ring" Mausers converted to 7.62x51.
Misunderstood Jonny. The CETME round predates the Mauser conversions and was developed to allow CONTROLLED full auto fire in CETME rifles also under development. The chamber pressure of the CETME round is not reduced and almost identical to NATO rounds. It has a light bullet and a moderate charge of a fast burning powder which results in a normal and efficient chamber pressure same as other assault rifle rounds, 8mm Kurtz, 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39...none of which have low chamber pressure by modern standards.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
Well, I did think I made a mistake once, but it turned out I was wrong!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
Hell, you can bat 33% and make the Hall of Fame!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I seem to remember many many moons ago that when the Cetme ammo was first imported that it was stated that the ammo was loaded to the same specs as the 7x57. It was assumed that it was because of the 7x57 pressure limits in the 92 and 93 Mausers with a max of 45,000 psi.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
I seem to remember many many moons ago that when the Cetme ammo was first imported that it was stated that the ammo was loaded to the same specs as the 7x57. It was assumed that it was because of the 7x57 pressure limits in the 92 and 93 Mausers with a max of 45,000 psi.
That was just an assumption. The ammo was not designed for the Mausers and the actual Spanish Arsenal data sheets show the CETME pressure levels similar to that of their 7.62 NATO ammunition.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can sharpen them enough to read both ctg types have pressures of 3500Kp/square centimeter.
Years ago there were better pics on a CETME board. Now these are all I have.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for more clear images because I cannot read those well enough to tell their source or purpose. I think they may be copies of pages from Francisco Gutiérrez Lanza’s book entitled “Tratado de Cartucheria”, and may just be cartridge registration pages. Hard to tell from those images.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for more clear images because I cannot read those well enough to tell their source or purpose. I think they may be copies of pages from Francisco Gutiérrez Lanza’s book entitled “Tratado de Cartucheria”, and may just be cartridge registration pages. Hard to tell from those images.
I’ve been motivated to crack a couple of books.

Respectfully, and with no offense intended, the statement “I can sharpen them enough to read both ctg types have pressures of 3500Kp/square centimeter.” is in error.

The chamber pressure of 3,500 Kp/cm is the ceiling pressure (Pmax) for common, Spanish military 7.62x51 ball ammunition. More succinctly, Spanish military 7.62x51 ammunition can reach performance goals at any chamber pressure so long as that pressure is less than 3,500 Kp/cm

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
I’ve been motivated to crack a couple of books.

Respectfully, and with no offense intended, the statement “I can sharpen them enough to read both ctg types have pressures of 3500Kp/square centimeter.” is in error.

The chamber pressure of 3,500 Kp/cm is the ceiling pressure (Pmax) for common, Spanish military 7.62x51 ball ammunition. More succinctly, Spanish military 7.62x51 ammunition can reach performance goals at any chamber pressure so long as that pressure is less than 3,500 Kp/cm
You must mean 3,500 Kp/SQUARE centimeter for Pmax?

No, the statement is correct, no error , maybe incomplete, as the pressure is not clarified as “average or Maximum, but both data sheets (7.62x51 NATO and 7.62 CETME) list “Pressure (chamber) of 3,500 Kp/square centimeter”.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You must mean 3,500 Kp/SQUARE centimeter for Pmax?

No, the statement is correct, no error , maybe incomplete, as the pressure is not clarified as “average or Maximum, but both data sheets (7.62x51 NATO and 7.62 CETME) list “Pressure (chamber) of 3,500 Kp/square centimeter”.
I think you are missing the point. While I don’t doubt the document you’re looking at shows a pressure of 3,500 Kp/cm2, that’s not the pressure to which the cartridges are loaded. Rather it’s the pressure to, and beyond which, neither cartridge may be loaded.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.