Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see this? At an auction held today. "No bolt" and a declared "rusted bore". Still brought $290.00.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts
Hi Tom,

I bought it for $290 plus 15%. My April 20 thread "Quick Answer Needed" was in search of a bolt. Mike (aka mkgr22) responded to that inquiry and sold me a bolt for a very reasonable price. I guess I need to post positive feedback for him - I forgot. You also responded to that thread.

I didn't get it for the steal I was hoping for but still I think I got a good deal. I guess some other bidder also had a spare bolt. Liberty Tree is advertising a mismatched one like it for $595.

The description said matching numbers without bolt, no numbers on stock. Mike's bolt has an unnumbered bolt body with numbers on the small bolt parts. I can fix a "rusted bore" to my satisfaction with oil and a few patches. It is an Oviedo 1899 and looks decent in the photos.

Photos when I get it.

I am also waiting on delivery of:
* Spanish M1893 Loewe crest long rifle (siderail "Mod. Mauser 1895", like the Boer rifles)
* Spanish M1893 FN (text) crest long rifle

They will join my:
* Spanish M1893 Loewe long rifle, Spanish Navy contract
* Spanish M1893 Loewe long rifle, Spanish American War
* Spanish M1893 Oviedo 1899 long rifle
* Spanish M1891 Loewe carbine, Spanish American War
* ZAR/Chilean M1893 DWM long rifle
* Turk M1893/38 Waffenfabrik Mauser long rifle
* Brazilian M1894 (M1893) Loewe long rifle
* Uruguayan M1895 (M1893) FN short rifle (ex-long rifle)

I'm stopping short of listing my Chilean, Argentine, Peruvian, Swedish, and Serbian pre-98 Mauser rifles.

Regards,
Bill

Added: Positive feedback for mkgr22 posted.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BILL:

:) I was one of the other bidders. I got off of it at $140.00 There was a bolt only in another auction that went off yesterday. Think that bolt went for $40.00.

·
15,509 Posts
That, or tell Tom (TMann) how much you want for it.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,509 Posts
BILL:

:) I was one of the other bidders. I got off of it at $140.00 There was a bolt only in another auction that went off yesterday. Think that bolt went for $40.00.
Somebody else bid $280 - but I had a bolt in hand and was not giving up that easily. These seem to go for up to $400 and the Loewe ones up to $500. Liberty Tree's $595 for a mismatched Oviedo is a bit much.

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
3,442 Posts
Somebody else bid $280 - but I had a bolt in hand and was not giving up that easily. These seem to go for up to $400 and the Loewe ones up to $500. Liberty Tree's $595 for a mismatched Oviedo is a bit much.

Regards,
Bill
Thanks for the kind words and the feedback post, Bill. But as I told you, I just picked up that bolt on a whim, in case someone needed it. Lo and behold, it worked out good!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the completed carbine.

Regards,
Mike.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Liberty Tree's $595 for a mismatched Oviedo is a bit much.
Well, if they're getting that much, I should get at least $596 for mine.

·
15,509 Posts
Tom, if you already had one, you should NOT have been bidding on another. Leave some for the rest of us!!! ;)

Piggy.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive only got one teeny little room that houses my collection. Rumor has it, that you and J.W. are renting fields from the farmers in your area to accommodate the storage containers used to handle the overflow of your collections. ;)

You mentioned in another thread about the wisdom and class shown by Mr. Wall. Don't sell yourself short Bill.

·
15,509 Posts
Ive only got one teeny little room that houses my collection. Rumor has it, that you and J.W. are renting fields from the farmers in your area to accommodate the storage containers used to handle the overflow of your collections. ;)

You mentioned in another thread about the wisdom and class shown by Mr. Wall. Don't sell yourself short Bill.
I've only got one teeny little room that houses my collection too, but it has become a bit crowded. The photo is John Wall's attic.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
15,509 Posts
The photo is the preview room at the Rock Island Auction. I hear John's attic is actually larger.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,509 Posts
Yes, but the Spanish M1895 carbine bolt has a bent handle. The M1916 short rifle bolt is the same as the carbine. The Spanish M1893 long rifle is the same but has a straight handle.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts