Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice Spanish model 1916 short rifle still in the original 7x57 and I have some questions. The reciever is scrubbed but other than lots of patina and some light surface rust and pitting under the wood line its in very good shape. I paid $100.23 OTD not knowing for sure what it was so I don't feel bad even if I overpaid. I'm just curious how many of these were made, I know they produced them from 1916 to about 1951 so I'm sure its many. It's two or three inches shorter than any of my other mauser short rifles and is just a light handy little guy, I may have to use it deer hunting this fall. Any info you guys could give me would be of great use and appreciation, so thanks in advance.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
pic

well, the BAD NEWS........ you OVERPAID.................................................by about 23 cents. i'd never have gone over 100 bucks:D kidding aside, mine is a 308, so i can't help you in 7x57. i hate the puny sights, like a turk, but mine shoots good. i can't imagine it being a decent deer rifle in low light without optics. how about a pic?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Actually, SAMCO is selling the ones converted to 7.62-CETME (pseudo-.308) for $129. Ones that are still in the original 7X57 chambering are generally worth about $50 more. So, you actually got it for about $79 less than the going rate. Good Snag!

SAMCO Link:
http://www.samcoglobal.com/m1916.html

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I spent more than that un-Bubbizing a nice 7mm barreled action back into a proper 1916! Ending up with around $140 to get a 1916 with a mirror bore.

Working on trading for another Spanish 1916 7mm. A cool old short rifle with the original crest, mostly matching numbers and an unusual floorplate/trigger guard assembly. Looks to be a well used veteran of the civil war!

·
Registered
137 Posts
My deer rifle for many years was a Spanish 1916 in .308. Very accurate shooter and i preferred hunting with it despite several other choices. It belongs to Dad and its still in his collection. Wish i could pry it away from him, besides he never got a deer with it.:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1916 Spanish

Thanks for the reply's and the websites full of information. I can't wait to shoot this rifle, with mild loads of course and see if I can get the old girl to group, I'd really like to put some venison on the table with this one.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
scott, sneak it out, he'll probably never know. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts